cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade the VX9000 controller including 1400+ AP

upgrade the VX9000 controller including 1400+ AP

Dinesh_Thakur
New Contributor
Hi All, i am upgrading the VX9000 controller including 1400+ AP including. after upgrade controller would be 5.8.4 and AP would be in 5.8.0 until all AP upgrade is complete. if any site lost power does AP will be able to register to higher version if controller does higher version controller support lower version AP? if upgrade take 5 to 7 days for all AP to upgrade does they able to work togeter with different code?

9 REPLIES 9

Thanks Chris

ckelly
Extreme Employee
Dinesh, I thought something like that might have been the case (reason for 5.8.4).
So it sounds like you have a hierarchical topology also (VX9000 adopting site-controllers (RFS6000/7000 at some sites).

But to confirm: Yes, You can upgrade the controller separately from the APs. If the controller and APs are using different versions of WiNG, this just prevents you from being able to make configuration changes to the APs using the controller and then pushing those changes out from the controller. This is 100% intentional and is done to protect the operation of the APs. (*Sometimes* there are code differences between WiNG versions and there might be a case that if you pushed out a configuration change to an AP, the new config might contain a setting that the AP will not be compatible with the WiNG version on the AP)

Hi Chris, Thank for your input,

we have taken 5.8.4 to resolve the Krack Venerability and some of the hardware are old like AP7181 and RFS7000 which does not support version above 5.8.4 so have no choice but to go head with 5.8.4 at the moment.

As this is three layer architecture we are planing to update the VM(Cluster of 3 two work as active/active and one is standby) for WAM (master controller) 1st and then from there we will push the code to RF-domain manager which are different for site like for smaller it might be AP with additional role and bigger site its RFS6000 and RFS7000. just one more query if WAM have new code and RFS also got new code AP will still be able to register user and BAU will work no authentication or other issue. just new configuration can't be updated without code upgrade.

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
I'm not a WiNG expert but in general that is how centralized solutions work = support APs with lower software till they are on the same software (if they are not too far from each other).

1400+ APs isn't a small deployment (at least for me) so how about you invest in a lab controller to test things like that before doing it in the production environment.

Thanks Ronald...Yes we are doing testing for this but Lab don't have that much devices which is creating issue.
GTM-P2G8KFN