Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use any controller for 10 Ap 7161 vs 5 Ap 7562

Use any controller for 10 Ap 7161 vs 5 Ap 7562

Tuan_Nguyen
New Contributor II
Hi everybody

I have 10 Ap7161 and 5 Ap7562 use wing 5.8, What controller do I have to use?

Thank you
15 REPLIES 15

Timo1
New Contributor II
Any plans to change this like Aruba? Adopt different kind of APs works with Aruba Instant. What changed is the problem of one AP have the configuration and not all:

Dynamic VC – Provides redundancy in the case of VC (AP) failure. Dynamic VC enables an AP to take on the role of VC when it is elected as RF-domain manager. Supports explicit secondary IP address configuration for seamless management access.

This works with WiNG 5.9.0.

The downside to a VC in this case is that as of today, it cannot adopt dissimilar APs. The VC will not resolve the roaming disconnect issue on a routed network. A hardware controller is required. Here's some information on VC adoption on a routed network:
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/Not-able-to-adopt-WiNG-Express-APs-to-a-...
Christoph S.

If you are using VC, then VC will in charge of the roaming, but I never try 7161 work with 7562 before because of 7161 is really old product.

Hello Tuan,

For this deployment size you might also want to look at the RFS4000: https://cloud.kapostcontent.net/pub/6df18969-455c-403d-942e-885e210d861b/rfs-4000-data-sheet.pdf?kui...

If you are looking for a hardware controller then your options would be either the NX5500 or RFS4000.

In regards to your roaming question, there are 2 scenarios to consider as follows:

1 - All APs are in the same broadcast domain (layer 2): Roaming will be seamless between APs (no dropped connections) in the absence of a controller.

2 - APs are in different broadcast domains on a routed network (layer 3): There will be a slight disconnect when roaming between APs in different broadcast domains in the absence of a controller. In this case a controller is needed should seamless roaming be a requirement.

Regards,

Chris
Christoph S.

If I do not use the controller, roaming when the client moves between different APs (7161 vs 7562) will lose the connection?

Thanks
GTM-P2G8KFN