cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the 5Ghz non-DFS, non-overlapping channels?

Laura4
New Contributor II

23 REPLIES 23

hsachse
New Contributor III
Like Ronald told you at 300 mbps PHY rate you could assume about 145-150mbps throughput with iperf (udp) for a device like a laptop with a wifi adapter 2x2:2 MIMIO or better. Most tablets only have 1x1:1 MIMO wifi adapter limiting there speed to around 65 mbps throughput.

For more deeper understanding of wifi throughput i would recommend you watching this video and the reading to background pdf:

http://www.wlanpros.com/wi-fi-stress-test-a-vendor-independent-access-point-analysis/

Still waiting for the second round of the wifi stress including the extreme wireless access points.

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
Yes, that is correct, the medium air is shared with all devices on the same channel.
This is why you shouldn't have more then 1 AP in the same area with the same channel configured as they would share the medium.

Also please keep in mind that it's a half duplex medium so only one client could tx or you have a collision .... like a hub in the good old days.

As a result you'll never see a thruput of 300Mbps on your client... I assume about 150Mbs if you test with iperf (https://iperf.fr/) and more then one stream.

Laura4
New Contributor II
Thanks for all the info. Since we have the enterasys 3605 APs, there are 2 radios. one is set to g/n 20MHz and one is set to a/n 40MHz. When i get an AP up and running and attach to it, my transmit rate on my MacAir says its 300Mbps. Does that mean I am sharing that 300Mbps with everyone else that is on the same radio as me? I dont actually get 300 Mbps to my self, do I?

Each radio should be transmitting 300Mbps, which is just the connection from the wireless device to the Access Point.

hsachse
New Contributor III
I only now there is one free open source project, but this even require a commercial spectrum analysis adapter. The cheapest solution would be to buy a standalone from a big competitor starting with C of Extreme and use there free available spectrum analyser software.

Another solution for a nice price is Metageek Chanalyzer. Maybe you could rent a spectrum analyzer because interpreting the results is the challenge for most beginners.

Laura4
New Contributor II
What is a good free spectrum analyzer program? or low cost
GTM-P2G8KFN