Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOSS: housekeeping and UX requirements

VOSS: housekeeping and UX requirements

Volker_Kull
Contributor

For VOSS we have some ideas out of the usage in the field:

• L3 interface enable/disable function (we are using preconfiguration before L3 migration from legacy core/distribution networks to campus fabric)
  • ERSPAN like EXOS to support more than VSP physical interfaces (ERSPAN remote receiver)
  • using automatic ECMP in parallel fabric NNI links (currently there has been a MLT before configuring NNI)
  • using ranges in configurations (f.e. port configurations, currently supported only at MLT)

more in our pipe…

br

Volker

9 REPLIES 9

AlexN
Extreme Employee

Team,

IP interface enable/disable suggestion has been submitted to PLMs, CR ID VOSS-479.
Release timeline is not known yet, however it’s unlikely to happen before 2022 due to all other work and priorities. 

Best regards/Un saludo
Alex

AlexN
Extreme Employee

Gents,

let me provide you some insight: we have a single pool of software engineers that work on VOSS. Wo whenever we ask them to deliver Feature X, it means something else, like Feature B, has to be either delayed or postponed. 

Specific example - convenience feature like adding “ranges” to all CLI commands, will delay or replace something else, like extending VOSS REST APIs or Fabric Attach on XA. And because latter two are way more valuable, I'd say that if someone needs to do bulk configs - please use scripting/aliases (same REST APIs for example). 

So internally we prioritise features that deliver competitive advantage or have strong revenue commitments behind them. Thus although I don’t disagree with you, that ranges, auto-LAG etc would be nice, I don’t think they are high priority items.

So out of this discussion - I’ll try to add IP interface enable/disable to internal reviews, everything else has workarounds already available.

Best regards/Un saludo
Alex

PeterK
Contributor III

I confirm with Volker in 100%.

This Feature are absolutly required. 

It’s bad that we need to create FR for these basic features, which we had in the past for years on EOS devices and which is available at most devices of other big vendors like aruba and cisco.

This missing features makes Migrations more difficult than using other vendors.

Volker_Kull
Contributor

Let´s do a remote session covering all our ideas and requirements like we did with VSP team (Roger, Ludo and Markus, ….)

Volker

GTM-P2G8KFN