Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EXOS Switches, sflow for XMC analytics - local and remote

EXOS Switches, sflow for XMC analytics - local and remote

kaare_t
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have EXOS switches (440-G2, 620, 590) and XMC Analytics (VMware virtual appliance). I have little experience with collecting information for analytics, but I’ve started using/looking into XMC Analytics (we’ve been using XMC Management and Control for some time). Regarding analytics and sFlow from my switches I’m struggling a little. According to analytics it looks like I’m supposed to use 2 interfaces, where eth0 = management and eth1 = tap. When I use this setup, I don’t seem to receive flow information from the switches. I’m also not sure if Jumbo-frames/ip-mtu must be enabled and if I’ve done that correctly. Also, should the mirrored interfaces on the switches belong to a totally separated vlan or is it OK to use the user-defined management vlan (e.g. distribute a global vlan to all switches for mirror only).

In addition we have a remote site and I’m wondering if Jumbo-frames/ip-mtu will work through the firewall/cloud (we’re using an IPsec tunnel between sites).

I’ve attached a limited drawing, describing the principal setup of our sites. What I would like to know is:

1. What would be the preferred setup for the local site switches in regards to vlan (ipaddress?), jumbo/ip-mtu, global/common separated vlan only for mirror traffic, through firewall
  2. What would be the preferred setup for the remote site switches (same questions as above)
  3. Are there any special requirements on the VMware hosts/nic’s in regards to the analytics appliance?

I’ve used EXOS switches for quite some time and I’m pretty familiar with the commands, so I won’t need a detailed config-setup. I would just like som information regarding best practice for local/remote sites in regards to sflow and setup.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

45522dcb00964348830f6939fc4e9ca9_fa06802a-e7b8-438c-8485-92454bc36fff.png

1 REPLY 1

kaare_t
New Contributor III

After a discussion with our partner, we decided to disable sFlow on the remote site at first and possible try to enable it after some time (when we can monitor the difference between enabled and disabled), and simply decide if it should be enabled or not.

On the local site I’ve enabled jumbo-frames (and ip-mtu on the L3 VLANs)

GTM-P2G8KFN