cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Matrix N 5.35.16 to new release 7.63.05.0002

Upgrade Matrix N 5.35.16 to new release 7.63.05.0002

Luis_Coghi
New Contributor
I have enterasys Matrix N3, right now it´s running the release version 5.35.16, I need to update to 7.63.05.0002, Can I update the router directly, without update to a other middle releaser like 6?
8 REPLIES 8

Straw__Glyn
Extreme Employee
As Mike says you will need to go via version 6. As well as the release notes the following document details all the important points to consider when transitioning from 6.x to 7.x :

https://extranet.extremenetworks.com/downloads/Pages/dms.ashx?download=ca673e07-1e70-4997-9d18-66e71...

most important being :

- N‐Series modules must each have a minimum of 256MB of memory installed.Use the show system utilization storage command to determine the memory installed in each slot of your release 6.x system.

- N-Series firmware releases 7.11.x and greater utilize a new internal "binary" format for storing configurations. Versions 7.11.01.0025 or newer firmware will clear an internal configuration that was written in the older format. To avoid loss of configuration during an upgrade you must take specific steps to create and restore an ASCII configuration file. They are detailed in the document.

Best Regards
Glyn

Mike_D
Extreme Employee
Luis,

Based on lab experience - you can indeed upgrade from 5.x to 7.x provided hardware requirements are met - as long as you are prepared to re-configure from scratch.

The step-up method allows for a degree of config translation.

Mike

Luis_Coghi
New Contributor
Thanks Mike I will do !

Mike_D
Extreme Employee

Hello Luis,

6.1 firmware 'window' upgrade is required.

Always recommended before upgrade of any kind: begin by saving a backup of your config file in case config translation fails.

You will want to carefully review the 6.1.x release notes and the 7.63.x release notes as there are several other caveats.

Regards,
Mike

GTM-P2G8KFN