Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

impact MAC Randomization on ExtremeControl (NAC) license

impact MAC Randomization on ExtremeControl (NAC) license

Rien_van_Maurik
New Contributor

Hello All
The ExtremeControl (NAC) of a customer of me , ( a Highschool) is reporting “maximum number of devices is exceeded”.

This is related to the choose of Apple to use MAC Randomization. 

The license is correct related to the actual devices and users 
Does anyone have a solution for this?

it's annoying that XMC reports every day “maximum number of devices is exceeded”   

kind regards
Rien

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi Rien,

Are Apple devices using different MAC address for every single WLAN session? I’ve been playing with random MAC addresses on Android and it seems to work like one random MAC per SSID the phone connects to (so subsequent connections to the same SSID are with the same MAC address).

Kind regards,

Tomasz

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Rien_van_Maurik
New Contributor

hello Peter an Tomasz

thank you for your reply’s

The IoS devices  uses different Mac address for every single SSID and change every time the reconnect to the SSID. The High  school uses  student owned IoS tablet, so every day the tablet of the students reconnect to the SSID the mac address is changed. they using 802.1x / eap-peap to authenticate

Because the tablets are student owned there's no management tool available.
I was hoping that there is a configuration option available in  Extreme Control that count the authenticated users  instate of the authenticated mac addresses.  

kind regards Rien

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi Rien,

Are Apple devices using different MAC address for every single WLAN session? I’ve been playing with random MAC addresses on Android and it seems to work like one random MAC per SSID the phone connects to (so subsequent connections to the same SSID are with the same MAC address).

Kind regards,

Tomasz

PeterK
Contributor III

XMC/NAC/Control is locking a mac-addr for 24h for license count.

I think this is the reason, why it is reported every day.

A Solution depends on the management instance of the aplle devices.

If you are able to manage this devices (e.g. via MDM) you should disable random mac.

If you don’t have this option you should to prevent this devices from accessing wifi (maybe mac-addr filter in NAC) or you need to extend the licenses

GTM-P2G8KFN