Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Question About Port Numbering on the X460G2-48p-10G4

Simple Question About Port Numbering on the X460G2-48p-10G4

MartinS
New Contributor III
Looking at the front of the X460G2-48p-10G4's you can see they have:
  • 48 x 10/100/1000BASE-T PoE-Plus
  • 4 x 10GBASE-X SFP+ (unpopulated ports)
This makes for a total of 52 ports that I would expect to see on the CLI. But oddly, when I issue a show ports command on the CLI, I can see 54 ports, not 52. Why is this exactly? If someone could explain to me in as much detail as possible this would be great. 

These switches have 10Gb and 40Gb ability, I'm pretty certain it's something to do with this. The tech spec's state the switch can run 6 10Gb ports or 2 40Gb ports.

Is it simply just the two 40Gb ports I was see showing as port 53 and 54?
Well, looking at the show ports no-refresh output I can see 53 & 54 have a status of NP meaning 'not present'. So it could be that they are the 40Gb ports, because I know from looking at the manual that the two 40Gb ports are mounted at the back of the switch using VIM modules.  The manual says that the base unit of this switch only ships with the following:
  • 48 x 10/100/1000BASE-T PoE-plus
  • 4 x 1000/10GBaseX unpopulated SFP+ ports
  • 1 x Rear VIM Slot (unpopulated)

But there doesn't appear to be any command that specifically tells me that port 53 and port 54 are in fact the two 40Gb ports. There's a single VIM module you can buy which has 2 x 40Gb ports, which I suspect that when plugged in is what gives you port 53 and 54.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Gabriel_G
Extreme Employee

Hi Martin,

Those 2 port numbers are reserved for the optional expansion slots (VIMS). The fact that they show as 'NP' indicates that you cannot use those ports, they do not actually exist yet. If you were to insert something like a VIM-2X (2x 10G SFP+ expansion module), ports 53,54 would no longer be NP and you would have the ability to configure those ports as normal data ports.

For more info, check out the hardware installation guide:

https://documentation.extremenetworks.com/extremeswitching/downloads/EXOS30_HWInstall.pdf

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Gabriel_G
Extreme Employee

Hi Martin,

Those 2 port numbers are reserved for the optional expansion slots (VIMS). The fact that they show as 'NP' indicates that you cannot use those ports, they do not actually exist yet. If you were to insert something like a VIM-2X (2x 10G SFP+ expansion module), ports 53,54 would no longer be NP and you would have the ability to configure those ports as normal data ports.

For more info, check out the hardware installation guide:

https://documentation.extremenetworks.com/extremeswitching/downloads/EXOS30_HWInstall.pdf

MartinS
New Contributor III
Thank you Gabriel. Much appreciated.
GTM-P2G8KFN