cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Hi! What functionality does HiveManager Cloud and HiveManager VA differ in? What is the fundamental difference in functionality? Do they exist at all?

Hi! What functionality does HiveManager Cloud and HiveManager VA differ in? What is the fundamental difference in functionality? Do they exist at all?

n_isaev
New Contributor
6 REPLIES 6

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you for your patience, unfortunately we don't have a document comparing the two. The reason for that is we strive to have almost no functional differences between VA and Cloud. VA will end up being a bit behind Cloud for new version releases (as BJ mentioned), so there may be a delay in getting a new feature in a VA HiveManager, but beyond that, the storage issues I mentioned, and the PPSK functions I mentioned, there shouldn't be much difference between VA and Cloud.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Sorry for the delay here, I'm looking for documentation that compares the two platforms and goes over the differences, I'll let you know as soon as I've found something for you.

n_isaev
New Contributor

Thanks!

bruce_stahlin
Contributor III

We had been an on-prem VA shop for about ten years until last spring. We found that feature releases lagged for on-prem deployments when compared to their cloud offering, usually between 3-6 months. Our SE explained that the functionality that is crammed into a single VA is spread across ~27 VMs in the cloud, thus maintenance for the VA has a lot of overhead from an engineering perspective.

We decided to migrate before this next point took effect; Until recently, Aerohive offered perpetual licensing for on-prem managed deployments. When that changed, the cost of device maintenance equaled the cost of cloud licensing, which also includes maintenance. I'm not sure why anyone, unless there were some security hangups, would not use cloud over VA at this point, unless the deployment was large enough to warrant Aerohive's private/public cloud offering, or if the prospect of migration is too cumbersome. Hope this helps.

GTM-P2G8KFN