cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to update AP120's to latest HIVEOS but failing from the cloud HiveManager GUI

Trying to update AP120's to latest HIVEOS but failing from the cloud HiveManager GUI

mlucash
New Contributor

I have successfully connected a pair of AP120's to the cloud HiveManager and it told me I need to update the HIVEOS to the latest. The current HiveOS is 6.3r3b.

I attempted the update multiple times but it fails with "The CLI 'save image ...... no-prompt' execute failed, caused by: The Aerohive device was unable to save the image to flash memory. Reboot the Aerohive device and try again". I rebooted multiple times with the same result.

I tried entering the command manually on the device via the CLI terminal and (assuming I'm using the correct password) it errored out with "Curl: (35) Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to cloud-va2.aerohive.com:443".

I'm wondering if the OS is too downlevel to connect via ssh to download the latest update? I tried all version offered in the HiveManager, all error out the same. Is there a download of the OS I can apply via tftp?

Thank you,

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for letting me know, I've sent two other firmware versions that are in between where you are now and the version we are trying to get to. Please let me know if you continue to have issues.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you for clarifying the current HiveOS, that does explain things. We'll need to move to 6.1r6a, then 6.2r1, then we can skip to any later version. I will email you these files directly in just a few moments.

mlucash
New Contributor

Thank you for the file Sam. I made progress in the fact I could send the update file to the AP but it gives me an error of "The HiveOS image is incorrect. Make sure that he image you are attempting to load is appropriate for the HiveAP platform and the difference with the image saved in the HiveAP."

I repeated the update using tftp via the CLI and the error gives a little more info. The file does transfer fully but fails with "Image header magic wrong! The format of image is incorrect! ERROR: Save image failed!".

I also noticed a typo in my initial question, the currently installed firmware is 6.1r3b not 6.3. Does the firmware have to updated in steps or do I need an intermediate firmware like 6.2 or 6.3 first?

Thank you for your help.

Michael

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello, I have emailed you directly with the latest firmware file available for the AP 120.

mlucash
New Contributor

Thank you for the document link, it appears to be what I need. I see the download section but don't have any listed downloads for the 6.5x Golden Images to get. Can you point me to the latest which was listed as 6.5r10.golden.img.S?

Thank you,

Michael

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

This error message is generally caused by a large string of failures that each allocate the memory for the file the device is trying to download. Because it doesn't come through it allocates more and retries until it runs out of memory. There are two general causes for this:

1. Connectivity to HiveManager is poor. 

2. Firmware is too out of date. 

6.3r3 is fairly old. I might recommend updating the firmware manually via the web UI. This guide can walk you through this process: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Upgrading-AP-firmware-via-web-UI

GTM-P2G8KFN