cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

We have some wifi issues in the performance and associating category. I checked the neighbors and RSSI is wel below 60. Though is a 33% CRC Rate normal (see copy paste below) ?

We have some wifi issues in the performance and associating category. I checked the neighbors and RSSI is wel below 60. Though is a 33% CRC Rate normal (see copy paste below) ?

ken_vanden_bran
New Contributor

My guess would be there's other devices interfering. Is this the best to measure these?

show interface wifi1 _counter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

215 recv eol interrupts

1397703 rx frames

15868 rx data frames

14596 rx unicast data frames

855 rx multicast data frames

417 rx broadcast data frames

1381003 rx management frames

832 rx control frames

1181 rx unknown frames

111 rx BAR (Block Ack Request) frames

1398884 11n rx frames

703 rx chip antenna errors

962 rx Retries

6% rx retry rate

685040 rx CRC errors

684600 rx CRC errors with no physical error

32% rx CRC rate

54040 tx data frames

9544 tx unicast data frames

32683 tx multicast data frames

11813 tx broadcast data frames

--------------------------------

52669 tx WMM best effort data frames

60 tx WMM background data frames

616 tx WMM video data frames

695 tx WMM voice data frames

1504421 tx management frames other than beacon

1462603 tx beacon frames

1 tx global timeout interrupts

1 tx carrier sense timeout interrupts

140 tx BAR (Block Ack Request) frames

742 tx aggregated completions

5936 tx retries

2444 tx RTS failures

3492 tx retries

2893 unicast data tx retries

2444 unicast data tx RTS failures

449 unicast tx retries

23% unicast data tx retry rate

1390 tx retries of sub frames

44513 tx frames with no ack marked

4556 tx frames with short preamble

781 tx frames with an alternate rate

304 tx frame errors

304 too many hw retries

511 tx available buffers

512 rx PHY error summary count

61905 tx frames succeed

rx phy err:

1 transmit override receive

511 OFDM restart

-128(invalid) tx rssi of last ack

13 rx rssi from histogram

21730 periodic calibrations

7 REPLIES 7

ken_vanden_bran
New Contributor

I believe the quite decent neighbor values mean that we have other factors contributing to our situation. We have a lot of other wireless equipment though.

ken_vanden_bran
New Contributor

Hi Sam,

Quick response. Loving it ļ™‚ cheers for the information.

I got this data through the "tech data" dump. We're still on the hivemanager classic.

Here are the neighbors in this case (see attachment). Mind you the 32% crc rate is both on the 2.4 and the 5 ghz bands.

And that's just this AP. I'm encountering AP's on different other floors with as much as 80%. Pretty sure i'm gonna learn a lot handling this šŸ™‚

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, that's exactly what you want to be looking at for RF interference. CRC errors are usually related to environmental interference factors. These factors include mainly metal, glass, water, or large amounts of people. All of these factors tend to reflect, refract, or generally damage your signal, leading to more retries, which leads to slower WiFi speeds. So for your output, we can see that 32% of your packets are failing at least once. Anything below 10% is negligible, but 32% is certainly a problem.

You've also got some unicast data TX retries as well (23%). I'd be interested to see what the results of "show acsp neighbor" are. With that output we want to look at the RSSI column. These values depict how loud the neighboring APs are, or in other words how much air space they are taking up. For these values we want to see -75 or lower. The closer to 0 this value is, the louder that AP is, and the more interference you will be experiencing.

Some other things we could do to help with interference would be to disable lower data rates to only allow clients to connect to APs they have a strong connection to, disable short guard interval if it is in use, and make sure we are using 20MHz or 40MHz channel widths instead of 80MHz. If you can let me know which HiveManager platform you are using, I can give you more specific instructions on how to do this things within the GUI; HiveManager Classic (myhive.aerohive.com) or HiveManager (formerly NG, cloud.aerohive.com)?

GTM-P2G8KFN