cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to convert Brocade VDX 6740 to standalone mode

Need to convert Brocade VDX 6740 to standalone mode

pawarpavan
New Contributor III

Need assistance to convert switch to standalone mode. Its a brocade VDX 6740.

Currently its in VCS mode and i did not find any command to move it to the standalone mode.

Its running with NOS : 7.3.0aa

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pawarpavan
New Contributor III

Thanks for the information,

I tried to wiping the complete config of my VDX6740 switch using "copy default start" but still some config is leaving it behind like management address , local username and default routes under rbridge_id.

Is it because switch is in VCS mode or it is not removable?

do we have any other option than netinstall to default the config remotely?

Do we need to have license to create VCS fabric with three switches.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pawarpavan
New Contributor III

Thanks for the information,

I tried to wiping the complete config of my VDX6740 switch using "copy default start" but still some config is leaving it behind like management address , local username and default routes under rbridge_id.

Is it because switch is in VCS mode or it is not removable?

do we have any other option than netinstall to default the config remotely?

Do we need to have license to create VCS fabric with three switches.

Pawarpavan,

Yes that is the expected behavior.  When you use the "copy default start" method those values are retained in order to allow continued remote access.  They can be removed manually using typical "no" commands apart from the default users; admin/root.

For a completely clean install, netinstall is your best option.

No, you should not need a license to create a fabric.  On the 6740  you should only ever have to deal with 10G/40G port capacity licenses

Michael Morey
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Extreme Networks

Michael_Morey
Extreme Employee

Pawarpavan,

Thanks for posting, I believe this thread is in the wrong section and should be moved to VDX @SamPirok 

Also regarding the version of NOS you are running, 7.3.0aa; this is a FIPS build and unless you are specifically using FIPS, I would not suggest running it.

In older releases; NOS 4.x, we had different modes like Stand Alone and Logical Chassis.  In the later releases Stand Alone was removed and VDX devices only operate in logical chassis mode.  Furthermore, looking at the 4.x documentation, the 6740 never supported Stand Alone mode.  If you want to remove this device from a VCS fabric you would use the command:

"no vcs logical-chassis enable rbridge-id [rb_id]

Also if you want this device to work along side another VDX but not form a fabric I would recommend the following:

1.) Update the interfaces connecting the two devices to disable ISL and Fabric Trunking

no fabric isl enable
no fabric trunk enable

2.) Also set the interface to disable fabric discovery

fabric neighbor-discovery disable

3.) Lastly make the VCS ID Unique for this device so that it will not create a fabric in the event a new interface is connected

vcs vcsid [unique_ID]

I hope this answers your questions,

Michael Morey
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Extreme Networks
GTM-P2G8KFN