cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is nodealias coming to XOS ?

Is nodealias coming to XOS ?

Tino
New Contributor III
I have used netsight almost everyday for the last 5 years to manage our network. Compass and nodealias was one of my best tools to trace workstations/printers/servers using mac address or ip address to ports with ease.

Now that we a migrating our enterasys xos c3/c5 fleet to x460-g2s I am getting frustrated that I cannot search for devices like i used to.

fdb is only helpfull up to a point, the entry times out after the device looses connection with the network.
19 REPLIES 19

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
Any update on this...?

JS4
Extreme Employee
with IDM, if you are after IP-MAC binding without an IP address on the vlan interface [e.g. without leveraging the ARP table of the switch], enabling DHCP snooping [part of IP security] should do the trick.

The following table in the 21.1 userguide [Table 86: Identity (User/Device) Attributes and Source Software Components] provides which features can be leveraged to get specific information.

note that you can be in 15.x and still leverage DHCP snooping to get the IP-MAC binding.
Having an IP interface on the vlan should not be necessary.

M_Nees
Contributor III
Nice trick to use DHCP snooping to get this information! That really new to me!

But at my last 2 customer szenarios i have manufacturing systems with static IPs. This lead that IDM doesn not see anything.

If i understand EOS nodealias correctly looks in some special parts of the packet header and gather the needed information like IP / MAC / Hostname. That work nearly everywhere - there is nothing to keep in mind - it will be very nice of IDM will can do that in the same way in a near furture version!

Regards

Tino
New Contributor III
Bill do you know when 21.2 is being release ... I am runnning 21.1.1.4 patch 5

Tino
New Contributor III
Nice! While I was there I signed up for netsight and analytics as well.

Thanks for the update.
GTM-P2G8KFN