Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

NAC 802.1X Authentication and "Transparent" registration

NAC 802.1X Authentication and "Transparent" registration

LeoP1
Contributor
Hi Guys,

I have a customer deploying NAC and they asked me for an "uncommon" feature...

The customer is willing to authenticate users (wireless) with NAC + AD using 802.1x, and want to control how much devices each user can "bring" into the network.

It's ok... I have deployed this kind of scenarios many times using the Authenticated Registration feature, but this customer doesn't want to have the users to, not even on the first access, to authenticate by 802.1x and authenticate again on the NAC Authenticated Registration Portal to have the device registered at the network.

In summary, as the user already authenticated by 802.1x, he wants the device to be "automatically registered" (and if the user already have reached the device limit, it gets denied, just like the portal).

Is there any way to do it?

Best regards,
-Leo
4 REPLIES 4

Karthik_Mohando
Extreme Employee
Hi Leo,

I would suggest to open up a GTAC case, in case if this does not exist they can assist in raising a feature request.

LeoP1
Contributor
Hi Alex,

The customer is an University and they want zero-intervention on the students devices (nothing more than the OS (Android/iOS/Windows/MacOS) 802.1x user/password...

The captive portal redirection show issues sometimes depending on the user's device/config or gets "cucumbersome" for less experienced (sometimes lazy) users, and the customer doesn't want hundreds of calls to the helpdesk and/or the ombudsman complaining about "I Can't connect", "Your Network Sucks!" or even "In my home it works just fine, but here it sucks".

I don't think NAC have something like he is asking... Maybe using NAC Request Tool or other integration?

Best regards,
-Leo

James_A
Valued Contributor
Would limiting the number of concurrent devices per user do what you want? NAC can't do that, but FreeRADIUS can with a user attribute called Simultaneous-Use.

Alexandr_P
Valued Contributor
Hello!

May be you have to look to the PKI direction?
Like each client's device have to have own certificate, but not more then 3.

Because if we talking about device type and OS - it can be 2 same devices with same OS.
If we talking about MAC address - we can change it.

Thank you!
GTM-P2G8KFN