cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show IP address of specific port

Show IP address of specific port

Visconti
New Contributor III
I have finally use netsight console v8 after using GUI web version.
Can I create a flexview that can show me the IP address of all port of my switch (series B5 e x450) ??
I see a lot of parameter in manage flexview session of netsight console

12 REPLIES 12

Roy_Noh
Extreme Employee
Hello Visconti,

I am not sure about B5 series but you can visit Extreme git hub to download a flexview named "XOS_VLAN-IP-Port"
This flexview will display VLAN ID, name, IP address, mask and assigned port as below examples.

6d510ea342db4b438e419f8a6b0f07d7_RackMultipart20180920-104936-1slhnr0-image_inline.png

6d510ea342db4b438e419f8a6b0f07d7_RackMultipart20180920-4814-1rujgcp-image_inline.png

Kindly visit Extreme git hub(https://github.com/extremenetworks/Netsight-Report-Views/tree/master/FlexView/EXOS) and download this flexview.

When you are to add the flexview into the XMC, please follow below instruction which you also can find help menu on XMC.

Use the instructions in this topic to add custom FlexViews and MIBs in Extreme Management Center.

To add a new FlexView to Extreme Management Center:

1. Add your custom FlexView files (.TPL) to the
    /usr/local/Extreme_Networks/NetSight/appdata/VendorProfiles/Stage/MyVendorProfile/FlexViews
    directory on the Extreme Management Center server.
  2. Add the MIB files that correspond to your custom FlexView files to the
    /usr/local/Extreme_Networks/NetSight/appdata/VendorProfiles/Stage/MyVendorProfile/MIBs
    directory on the Extreme Management Center server.
  3. Log into the system shell (via the local console or SSH) on the Extreme Management Center server as root on a Linux operating system or open a CMD prompt by selecting Run as administrator on a Windows operating system.
  4. Restart the Extreme Management Center server:[list=1]
  5. Enter
    service nsserver stop
  6. Enter
    service nsserver start
Best regards,

Roy_Noh
Extreme Employee
Visconti,

As Erik well explained on his reply, I will be difficult for you to find every IP with MAC address of end systems connected to a l2 switch since it will not store ARP entries unless a VLAN IP is assigned. Actually even if it stores the entries, you would find a difference in number of the entries then l3 gateway device.

However, since x450 series are your core switch you may use below way to correlate IP and MAC binding with some steps.

1. Get IP, MAC and incoming port info of l3 gateway(x450)
- Download a flewview named "Learned MAC to IP" flewview posted on Git
- It will show you end devices' IP, MAC(from ARP table) and port(from FDB table) in L3 gateway's perspective
- It uses Node alias as Erik described
- Export the result(say this as "L3 result") to an excel file

2. Get MAC, VLAN and incoming port info of l2 switches
- Built-in flewview named "Learned MAC Addresses" will show you those info
- Export the result(say this as "L2 result") to the excel file on other tabs
- Since MAC addresses from uplink port is not needed, delete those entries

3. Bind info from multiple "L2 result" into "L3 result"
- By now you have multiple tabs on the excel file
- Do some excel works to find IP address of L2 switch, VLAN and port from L2 result that has same MAC entry with L3 result and fill the table

Once you completed those stpes, you will have an excel tab with IP, MAC address of the end device as well as VLAN info, incoming port of L3/L2 switches.

Thanks

Visconti
New Contributor III
How to correlate the information from different devices? My network consists in 1 core switch 2 switch x450 series and 12 switch b5 series (one of 15 is the routing switch)

Hi Visconti,

if supported, you can query the Node Alias table, see e.g. How to track down an IP address using Node Alias and Compass search on XoS devices does not show any node alias data. This is proprietary feature of Extreme Networks switches.

There is no standardized way to get the information you seek just by querying the (layer 2) switch, because the (layer 2) switch uses MAC addresses, not IP addresses.

In general, you can query a different device, the router, for the IP address used with the MAC address of the end-system (computer connected to the other device, the switch), i.e. the ARP table. In general, MAC and IP address information come from different devices. Sometimes the functions of both router and switch are combined in one device, a layer 3 switch. You always need to query two tables, the FDB for MAC address and port information, and the ARP table for IP to MAC address mapping. You then need to take the two entries (one from each table) for the MAC address of the computer and combine them.

Compass search queries different devices for you, so that you will see the answer in two table rows, if only FDB (MAC and port) and ARP (MAC and IP) data is available (you can get the complete answer in one row if the Node Alias table is supported by the switch). ExtremeControl even correlates information from different sources and keeps it in a data base you can easily query.

If you want to do this yourself without using existing tools, you have to correlate the information from different devices, thus it does not suffice to add fixed table entries to a FlexView.

Thanks,
Erik

Visconti
New Contributor III
OK I repeat for the last one.... Exist a way (no compass serch) to show the ip of the computer connected to port of the switch?
GTM-P2G8KFN