Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 GHz connectivity

6 GHz connectivity

michael_hoffman
New Contributor II

Hello Community,

does anyone have experience with succussful connected clients at 6 GHz Band and CloudIQ-Solution?

I'm trying to connect a Samsung Galaxy S8+ to AP 4000 6GHz radio, but I can't get a connect.

Also my customer tried to connect with different 6GHz-devices but he also couln't see the ssid.

I tested and cannot see the SSID with S8+, but if I check with Ekahau Sidekick 2 I can see the 6 GHz SSID.

Show station at cli of AP will also show me that there is an SSID at wifi2.1 interface!

If I enable 5GHz additionally for 6-GHz-SSID, the S8+ can see SSID but isn't connecting to 6GHz, only to 5GHz.

I also heard that 6GHz SSIDs will announce basicly the SSID over 5GHz band, is it true? If yes, why?

Which optional settings do I have to configure to use 6GHz Band successfully for a broad range of new 6GHz devices?

Best regards

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Michael

This is correct. This is how we do it in our office. The RNR are shown in the beacons of non-6Ghz SSID's so our 6Ghz devices can find the 6Ghz-only SSID.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hans
Contributor

Hi Michael, it is correct that the most devices use out-of-band scanning to detect the 6Ghz SSID's, the reason is simple, there are just to many channels to scan in the 6Ghz band what would impact the roaming times. Devices use Reduced Neighbor Reports in the 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz band to advertise a 6Ghz existense. However I did believe that you can use any 5Ghz SSID to advertise a 6Ghz SSID (it does not have to use the same SSID broadcast name). There are other discovery mechanisms as FILS and PCS, however we believe the use of RNR will be the most adapted way to do it.

Hello Hans,

thx for your answer. Did I understand you correctly, that if there are other additional SSIDs (2,4GHz or 5 GHz) sending out at AP, it is not neccesary to enable more than 6GHz at separate new SSID?

Example:

SSID = Guest (2,4GHz and 5GHz enabled)

SSID = Test (only 6GHz enabled)

--> should I see SSID Test with this setup or not? Or do I have to enable 5 GHz at SSID "Test" , too?

Maybe you can send example of best practice config ...

Cheers Michael

Hi Michael

This is correct. This is how we do it in our office. The RNR are shown in the beacons of non-6Ghz SSID's so our 6Ghz devices can find the 6Ghz-only SSID.

GTM-P2G8KFN