cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP1130 and AP650(AH) firmware divergence?

AP1130 and AP650(AH) firmware divergence?

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

I noticed that firmware for the AP650(AH) is out, with the new version being 10.5.4.0.

I updated a few of the AP's that had zero clients, startign on my AP650(ah)'s, and then went to update the firmware on the AP1130's. thats when i noticed that 10.5.4.0 wasnt an option, only the previous version 10.5.3.0.

Whats going on?  since ive had this system (since Aerohive) its been the same firmware for the AP650's as it has for the AP1130's.

Dont tell me that the firmware is going to start to diverge based on the model of AP... please dont tell me that.... not a good idea..

Anyway, im interested why the latest isnt available for the AP1130's, anyone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

Well, the AP1130's have a firmware update.  Im re-posting this, as I did post again, but it didn't show up here.  Reposting it, this time as a reply to my first post may help with that.

Here is the version number:

systemscsn_0-1705415719208.png

10.6r1a and it takes about 7.5 minutes to fully update, along with two reboots, which makes me think this is a security fix - No release notes on that version so far, so i am guessing its a security fix.

Anyway, wanted all to know that check posts here.

Thanks,

J.

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38

Well, they just updated their documentation (now i understand why i was left hanging for almost 2 weeks, gave time to update that):

systemscsn_0-1683205000149.png

Not happy.  Customer last to know, and only knows because they had to create a support case.

-Jason.

Yeah this is all bullsh.. from them, still officially!! 2 more years supported and they don't care about it.

Let's see what your review request and rep are saying.

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

Hi @daniel1 

Well, this is what i got back from the management review:

"I went directly to our PLM team on this, first letting them know the release notes didn't match your experience with what firmware versions were available in the XIQ GUI for the AP1130 platform. They responded and let us know the last firmware version for the AP1130 is 10.5r3"

I totally agree with you, its complete bullsh1t.  So this means no patching, no bug fixes, no vulnerability patching, nothing.  Like you said, TWO more YEARS with these AP's and they are going to leave it at 10.5r3!!

Not giving any kind of heads up to their customers via an email, or a banner at the top (like they do for other things) of the interface, nothing and on top of that, the original documentation saying the newer firmware includes the AP1130's... Seems they have major internal issues in communication, with the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

I cant believe a company behaves this badly.  They probably know that they have their customers over a barrel because it would be way to expensive to throw all their equipment away and start with someone else!  I never had this kind of issue with Ruckus, and wish they kept up and future-proofed their equipment and services, because the only reason we went with these guys was that Ruckus didnt keep up on their hardware and it couldn't handle the demands of newer devices.  <sigh>

This outcome is such BS.  My rep isnt going to be able to do anything about this either.  So it dead ends here.

- Jason.

@BillL can you explain why there are no more firmware releases (so no more security fixes) for AP1130, although the model is still officially supported from your side for over 2 more years?
End of Sale and End of Service Life - Extreme Networks

daniel1_0-1683525891972.png

The document behind the url, when you click on AP1130 (https://bit.ly/30sLtmR), also shows 2025 as End of software maintenance (EOSM):

daniel1_1-1683526067531.png

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

@daniel1 I couldn't agree more.  They state one thing, but the customer is told another, all the while being proved by the XIQ interface that I cannot go further than 105r3.  Software maintenance is part of the contract we the customer, you the providing company,  agree with each time we renew support, which if checked will show my organization has done recently.  So, I emailed my rep, saying that breaking promises is one thing, breaking a contract is another, where the latter can get a company in very hot water.

@bill can you answer @daniel1  's question, and in addition get this further up the management chain than a GTAC's supervisor? I think the customers need more than "official" documentation that contradicts itself, it needs to know why Extreme is not honoring its contacts with its customers.  

Sounds to me like Extreme needs to get reshuffled again, clearly one department is dictating what they want and how the "world" is going to be, versus what was promised to the customer, while obviously ignoring other internal Extreme departments.  That was proved by my GTAC case;  posting it is supported and the documentation is correct, then no its not supported, the documentation is not correct, and then repeated in reverse order.  What a bloody mess.

-Jason

GTM-P2G8KFN