cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice Handling LEDs - AP305C, AP302W, ATOM(AP30)

Best practice Handling LEDs - AP305C, AP302W, ATOM(AP30)

technik1
New Contributor II

Usually we deactivate the LEDs policy-wide once everything is up and running.

Every now and then we need to activate the LEDs for a few APs. Seems like a simple task that is not that extraordinary, therefore I think we are doing something wrong here.

CLI/SSH seems to work til the next reboot. Which is somehow contradicting the philosophy of the XIQ.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My answer is a bit of a hybrid of what's already been said but to add to taradean's answer: [provided you have your APs assigned to locations] go to ML Insights > Network 360 monitor > right click an AP and you've got the LED control there (On|Off|Blinking) OR go to manage > devices > tick an AP > utilities > tools > locate device > you'll have options to change led behaviour/return to normal etc etc. Limitation of this is that you can't tick multiple APs at once.

The only way I can think of doing this on multiple APs at once is via a supplemental CLI you can apply to multiple APs at once at the device level, but that's probably messier than the above, but I guess it depends on how many APs you normally enable this on at once

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

taradean
New Contributor

It sounds like you are having trouble activating the LEDs for specific access points (APs) in your network using the ExtremeCloud IQ (XIQ) management platform. Here are some possible solutions:

1. Use the XIQ web interface: Instead of using the CLI/SSH, try using the XIQ web interface to activate the LEDs for specific APs. You can navigate to the APs in question, select them, and then select the "LED Control" option to toggle the LEDs on or off.

2. Check your XIQ policies: It's possible that your XIQ policies are overriding the LED settings you are trying to configure. Double-check your policies to ensure that LED control is not being disabled or overridden.

3. Check the AP firmware: Make sure that the firmware on the APs in question is up to date. Sometimes firmware updates include bug fixes that can resolve LED control issues.

4. Contact Extreme Networks support: If none of the above solutions work, it's possible that there is a deeper issue with your XIQ setup. Contact Extreme Networks support for assistance in troubleshooting the issue.

technik1
New Contributor II

Thanks for the fast answer.

I am afraid I am just missing the 'select the "LED Control" option to toggle the LEDs' option.

Is it possible to deactivate said option?

Please review the following Knowledgebase article regarding XIQ AP LED:

https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000080178&q=XIQ%20How%20to%20disable%20LED

Sorry for nitpicking,

this is imho no solution and definitely either a point of potential errors or at least not user friendly.

If I use this knowledge article:

1. I need to change the settings of the whole policy.
  2. Update the selected AP(s).
  3. Change the managment settings back.
  4. Usually Update all the other devices, or live with a configuration audit mismatch. 

I am not willing to believe that more experienced people/people managing thousands of devices are using this procedure.

1. Use the XIQ web interface: Instead of using the CLI/SSH, try using the XIQ web interface to activate the LEDs for specific APs. You can navigate to the APs in question, select them, and then select the "LED Control" option to toggle the LEDs on or off.

A similar point used to be in the device template advanced settings.

GTM-P2G8KFN