cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KDDR Logs - what are they for?

KDDR Logs - what are they for?

w1f1n00b
Contributor II

I’ve never been asked to provide one of these logs, yet there are over 400 of them in my VIQ dating back to 2018. It sounds looks like this could be a valuable source of information regarding devices rebooting or failing (following up on system core dump alarms etc).

Documentation states that this is off by default, but I can’t find the “Device Data Collection” mentioned in the documentation to check my settings (https://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/ng/Content/gui/administration/downloading-kddr-lo...

This previous thread was never answered. https://community.extremenetworks.com/hivemanager-platform-233172/is-there-better-documentation-for-...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry, just realizing I never answered your first question- What are KDDR logs for? These are Kernel Diagnostic Data Recorder (KDDR) logs, and they are basically troubleshooting logs that record failures or interruptions within ongoing processes. These are more advanced troubleshooting logs that would need to be interpreted by our engineers, at least partly because the logs come out in binary content. Typically we ask for KDDR logs when we are experiencing unexplained reboots or crashes. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SamPirok
Community Manager

Sorry, just realizing I never answered your first question- What are KDDR logs for? These are Kernel Diagnostic Data Recorder (KDDR) logs, and they are basically troubleshooting logs that record failures or interruptions within ongoing processes. These are more advanced troubleshooting logs that would need to be interpreted by our engineers, at least partly because the logs come out in binary content. Typically we ask for KDDR logs when we are experiencing unexplained reboots or crashes. 

SamPirok
Community Manager

Hi John, thank you for your patience while I looked in to this. The KDDR logs are enabled by default now, and I will ask that the KDDR page in the help file gets updated to reflect that. My apologies for the confusion.

SamPirok
Community Manager

The Device Data Collection and Monitoring section is in your network policy rather than Global Settings. If you go to Configure> Open your Network Policy> Go to Additional Settings> Under the Policy Settings header on the left hand side menu you should see Device Data Collection and Monitoring> KDDR is down the page a bit under the Client Wireless Activity Thresholds section. It looks like it’s on by default now though, I’ll have to confirm what the current behavior should be. I think they should be off by default given how much room these reports can take up over time but I’ll let you know when I find out for sure. 

GTM-P2G8KFN