Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What takes precedence, Interface power setting or radio profile

What takes precedence, Interface power setting or radio profile

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

Hi,

so ive been using XIQ for a while now, and you know how it is, work in it every day, you dont notice things, and then one day POW... you notice.

So, if i get in an AP, any AP.  Click on Configure and then Interface settings.  Scroll down and you have wifi0 and wifi1 power settings...  then it came to me.. hang on.. i created radio profiles for these AP's, and had to set the power in there..

So, what takes precedence, whats set in the device, or the radio profile associated with the device?.

im being a bit lazy, i guess i could change it, wait and then see on the web interface if it changes to what i set it to... what fun is that though... no.. its not fun... 

So, anyone know the answer?

Thanks,

Jason.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Brent_Addis
Contributor

If you setup a template in Extreme Cloud, and then onboard an AP without changing anything, it will import the template settings and use those.

If you then go into the device, and change the power level or any related setting, that will override your template for that setting.

So just to reiterate, local device settings override template settings.

-Brent

-----
-Brent Addis / Extreme Black Belt #491

New to Extreme? Check out the Welcome series here - https://training.extremenetworks.com/welcome-series-1
Want to join the official Extreme learners discord? Let me know!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

Yeah, i get that changing it at a device level is overriding the policy (which also overrides the AP template and radio profile).  But okay, at that level the radio profile is pushed out the way, and the only way back is to revert to the AP template (reset to template defaults).  IS that still true when an AP loses power and then starts back up?  is that held in some kind of memory within the AP?

thanks for getting back to me on this, appreciate.  Jason.

For a brief sun shiny period of time in XIQ there was an icon (like the config audit) that indicated APs which had a config change override. Was wonderful. And then they removed it. So as far as I know, the only way to keep track of when/where you've made manual config overrides is to document it yourself. Prior to the "revert to template default" being added, I was renaming AP hostnames to track this because it bit me in the butt when I would make template changes, and find random groups of APs out of compliance.

Brent_Addis
Contributor

If you setup a template in Extreme Cloud, and then onboard an AP without changing anything, it will import the template settings and use those.

If you then go into the device, and change the power level or any related setting, that will override your template for that setting.

So just to reiterate, local device settings override template settings.

-Brent

-----
-Brent Addis / Extreme Black Belt #491

New to Extreme? Check out the Welcome series here - https://training.extremenetworks.com/welcome-series-1
Want to join the official Extreme learners discord? Let me know!
GTM-P2G8KFN