cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link aggregation Summit X690 Vs Enterasys N-Series

Link aggregation Summit X690 Vs Enterasys N-Series

Elena_Madrigal
New Contributor II
Hello i am making a Link agregation : summit X690 Vs Enterasys N7.
Configuration of Summit:

configure sharing 1:1 add ports 1:1,1:2Configuration Enterasys N-7

set port vlan ge.3.24-25;lag.0.62 1 modify-egress
set vlan egress 2-100 lag.0.62;ge.3.23-24;ge.5.23-24 tagged
set lacp aadminkey lag.0.62 62
set port lacp port ge.3.24 aadminkey 62
set port lacp port ge.3.25 aadminkey 62
set lacp singleportlag enable
set lacp enable
set port lacp port ge.3.24-25 enable

When i do a :
show port status lag.0.62

Port Alias Oper Admin Speed Duplex Type
(truncated) Status Status (bps)
------------ ---------------- -------- ------- ------ ------- ------------------
lag.0.62 down up lag
1 of 1 ports displayed, 0 port(s) with oper status 'up' or 'dormant'.

XXXXXX(su)->show lacp lag.0.62
Global Link Aggregation state: enabled
Single Port LAGs: enabled

Aggregator: lag.0.62
Actor Partner
System Identifier: 00:1f:45:d4:0f:5a 00:00:00:00:00:00
System Priority: 32768 32768
Admin Key: 62
Oper Key: 62 32768
Attached Ports: None.
Standby Ports: None.

I not see atacched ports in the link aggregation What could be happening? Missing Command?

13 REPLIES 13

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
Hello Elena,

it is great to read that the problem is solved by using a static LAG as workaround. Thanks for letting us know!

Please consider that a static LAG configuration can be dangerous, since any cabling changes regarding one of the switches participation in the static LAG may result in cabling errors that might result in a loop. Dynamic LAGs using LACP prevent a loop from forming by not activating the wrongly cabled links. Thus I always recommend to use LACP for LAGs.

Thanks,
Erik

Elena_Madrigal
New Contributor II
Thanks erik, we found the issue and the problem is solved now, making the LAG as a static in the enterasys N7 works fine!!. Dinamic not work. Only work with a static config.
However with C2 works as dinamic and static config. I dont know the reason.
Thanks all people for the support.

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
Hi Elena,

I have just tested the LAG configuration with an X460-G2 with EXOS 22.2.1.5-patch1-5 and an N1 with firmware 07.63.01.0006, and it works fine.

I currently suspect the non-production-ready X690 firmware to not set the LACP System ID and the N7 to not accept the all zero LACP System ID it sees. You could try to verify this by attaching a packet sniffer (e.g. a PC with Wireshark) to the X690 (or a mirror port on a switch connected to the X690, see How To Configure a Port Mirror on an EOS Modular Switch or How To Enable And Configure Mirroring In EXOS) and looking at the captured LACP PDUs.

A software update on the X690 and a new test with the configuration that works with a C2 with the N7 is probably easier and might actually solve the problem.

BTW, does the output of the command show port lacp port status detail on the C2 show an all zero operational LACP System ID as well?

Thanks,
Erik

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
Hi Elena,

it is interesting that the configuration works with a C2 (tested by you) and an S-Series (tested by me, with an X460-G2), but not with the N7.

The show port lacp port ge.3.24-25 status detail output contains unexpected results, but I cannot interpret them completely. The N7 seems to report LACP communication with the X690, but seems to wrongly interpret this as if the links are not supposed to be active, perhaps because it does not see or accept the system ID of the X690 (DebugRxState: Defaulted PartnerOperSystemID: 00-00-00-00-00-00).

Please note that the X690 asks for a software upgrade (* (Software Update Required) Slot-1 VITSC0A3.9 . Please consider upgrading the X690 to the latest patch level of the recommended EXOS release.

I concur with Drew that you should consider opening a GTAC case.

Thanks,
Erik
GTM-P2G8KFN