cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-edge vs ezspantree

Auto-edge vs ezspantree

James_A
Valued Contributor
So I had a problem where a 5x X440-G2 stack with 75 iMacs on it would drop packets when the iMacs booted up, some investigation pointed the finger at spanning-tree, once I configured the ports with link-type edge the problem went away. My question now is why did I have to do this manually? auto-edge is supposed to be on by default, but show s0 ports detail shows Operational Edge : FALSE whether or not I have configured auto-edge on for that port. I have auto-bind on for all VLANs, and ezspantree enabled too.

I found this post which seems similar to what I'm seeing
https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme/topics/edge-port-topology-change

I'm running 22.5.1.7 (22.6.1.4 was quite crashy).
12 REPLIES 12

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
Hm, a while ago I played around with Auto Edge, and it did work as advertised. I do not remember which EXOS version.

Please note that Auto Edge will wait a few seconds before calling a port an edge port, and the port loses that state when it goes down. Manually configuring an edge port will place it into forwarding immediately.

It is quite dangerous to use an edge port on EXOS without edge-safeguard, because without edge-safeguard the port will not originate BPDUs and thus will not detect loops over two edge ports.

Thanks,
Erik

James_A
Valued Contributor
It's very straightforward:

enable stpd s0 auto-bind vlan AV
repeated for each VLAN. And since the GTAC case, lots of this for the ports with iMacs:
configure stpd s0 ports link-type edge 1:24

Nothing else. For some reason I don't have ezspantree enabled on this stack, that's a bit weird since I thought I had it on all stacks. Although on the stacks that do, they just have the auto-bind commands as well. Their ports are also Operational Edge: FALSE, Auto Edge: On.

jeronimo
Contributor III
Can you show the output of "show conf stp"?
GTM-P2G8KFN