cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting 2x Extreme switches on different floors.

Connecting 2x Extreme switches on different floors.

Asifi
New Contributor II

Hello Community,

I have 2 x 5520 switches based over 2 floors.  I believe I cannot stack these due to the distances involved.  However, I do have a fibre connection between the 2 floors.

What is the correct way of connecting these 2x 5520 switches?  Ideally I would like to stack these but this is not possible using the stacking ports.

Do I create a new port sharing group e.g. using ports 59 and 60 on each switch and use SFP+ modules on each port on both sides adding the VLANs needed or is there another way to do this?

Much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Ah, didn't know that you have VIMs 🙂

You can use both ways. In order to use QSFP Ports you have to disable stacking-support. If you use the VIMs to connect the switches you have the option in the future to add a new switch on the floors and stack it with the existing switch on the floor.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Asifi
New Contributor II

HI @Stefan_K_ 

That's great - thank you and much appreciated advice and tips.

Kind regards,

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Hi @Asifi 

Stacking is possible using the QSFP Ports and Fiber transceivers. Check optics.extremenetworks.com for details. Select EXOS -> 5520 and then use the filters:

Fiber Type: Multi or Single Mode (depending on your cabling)
Stacking: Yes

However, I'm not  a big fan of stacks across different floors. Connecting them like you explained is standard procedure and can be done like it: Two lines in an LAG and all the VLANs tagged on the LAG-Master.
You can use a VIM Interface-Card (e.g. VIM-4X) or the QSFP Ports (with QSFP Transceivers or with QSFP -> SFP+ Adapter and an normal SFP+ transceiver) for the connection.

Best regards
Stefan

Asifi
New Contributor II

Hi @Stefan_K_ 

Many thanks for your reply.  Yes my usual process is to use QSFP ports and SFP+ modules.  However, in this case the length of the QSFP cable would need to be 50M plus which I don't think is possible.

My steps would be:

1. Create a Port Sharing Group on both switches using the same ports on each switch (59 and 60).

2. Tag the VLANs on the master switch Port Sharing Group port.

Should be good to go as far as I can see after this.  Do you agree please?

Kind Regards,

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

@Asifi wrote:

Hi @Stefan_K_ 

Many thanks for your reply.  Yes my usual process is to use QSFP ports and SFP+ modules.  However, in this case the length of the QSFP cable would need to be 50M plus which I don't think is possible.

It is.

Part number 10320 is a QSFP transceiver that has a reach of 10KM via Single mode fiber and supports stacking.
Part number 10334 is a QSFP transceiver that has a reach of 150M via Multi mode fiber and supports stacking.

My steps would be:

1. Create a Port Sharing Group on both switches using the same ports on each switch (59 and 60).

2. Tag the VLANs on the master switch Port Sharing Group port.

Should be good to go as far as I can see after this.  Do you agree please?

Kind Regards,

1. I think the port number would be 49 and 53, but yes.

2. Correct

Please note that you need Part No 10506 to use SFP transceivers in QSFP Ports. (Stacking is not supported in this case, but normal ethernet connection like you plan, is supported)

GTM-P2G8KFN