cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting 2x Extreme switches on different floors.

Connecting 2x Extreme switches on different floors.

Asifi
New Contributor II

Hello Community,

I have 2 x 5520 switches based over 2 floors.  I believe I cannot stack these due to the distances involved.  However, I do have a fibre connection between the 2 floors.

What is the correct way of connecting these 2x 5520 switches?  Ideally I would like to stack these but this is not possible using the stacking ports.

Do I create a new port sharing group e.g. using ports 59 and 60 on each switch and use SFP+ modules on each port on both sides adding the VLANs needed or is there another way to do this?

Much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Ah, didn't know that you have VIMs 🙂

You can use both ways. In order to use QSFP Ports you have to disable stacking-support. If you use the VIMs to connect the switches you have the option in the future to add a new switch on the floors and stack it with the existing switch on the floor.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Asifi
New Contributor II

Hi @Stefan_K_ 

Thanks for the quick reply.  I am suggesting using the VIM ports for the connection as we have VIM modules we can use.  This is why I have suggested using ports 59 and 60.  Are you suggesting using the QSFP ports instead for this?

Kind Regards,

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Ah, didn't know that you have VIMs 🙂

You can use both ways. In order to use QSFP Ports you have to disable stacking-support. If you use the VIMs to connect the switches you have the option in the future to add a new switch on the floors and stack it with the existing switch on the floor.

GTM-P2G8KFN