cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disable snmp access

disable snmp access

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a user who has installed the driver for a home printer/scanner on their company laptop (it's pointless to try and argue about this). When the user comes in and connects the laptop to the company network (also pointless to argue), the driver continually sends out SNMP broadcast packets to discover the non-present scanner, causing lots of network headaches.

So, I thought of making the switch drop all SNMP packets. I don't use SNMP as the network is too small. The most basic ExOS command is "disable snmp access" but I'm not sure if this just disables SNMP management of the switch, or also blocks SNMP traffic across the switch.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Brian_Austin
Extreme Employee
Hello Ssimpson,

the disable snmp access command only disables management access to the switch if you know what port the end client is connecting to you could block port 161 traffic from entering the network so it is dropped at the port level.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, Brian. You've confirmed what I suspected. I will have to find some other way.

Brian_Austin
Extreme Employee
Hello Ssimpson,

the disable snmp access command only disables management access to the switch if you know what port the end client is connecting to you could block port 161 traffic from entering the network so it is dropped at the port level.
GTM-P2G8KFN