cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Extreme switches require an untagged VLAN on every port that is in use?

Does Extreme switches require an untagged VLAN on every port that is in use?

Ken_Applebaum
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am setting up a couple of new 5720-48MXW switches. This will be used for our vSphere environment as well as our NetApp storage array. These will be replacing our old Enterasys 7100's. 

On the 7100's, we have a non-routed VLAN configured as untagged on all data ports. All traffic is on VLANs that are tagged on the data ports. The untagged VLAN was created and configured because the 7100's needed an untagged VLAN on each port, in addition to tagged VLANs, so they would work properly.

My question is, does the 5720's, running the Universal Platform Switch Engine, ver 32.7.1.9 require an untagged port in order to be configured correctly? Or can the ports be configured with several tagged VLANs each, and do not need an untagged VLAN?

Thanks,
Ken

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

No, not required. Per default the Default VLAN is untagged on all ports which can be removed by command configure vlan default delete ports all

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

No, not required. Per default the Default VLAN is untagged on all ports which can be removed by command configure vlan default delete ports all

Thanks Stefan_K_,

I removed the default VLAN already. I was hoping that I didn't need to create an additional VLAN to add ports untagged to. This will make life simpler. 

GTM-P2G8KFN