Did you mean: 

ELRP per vlan - is that possible?

ELRP per vlan - is that possible?

Nick_Yakimenko
New Contributor II
XOS firmware
Port configured as trunk and have some vlans tagged
ELRP in case of loop in one of the vlans, disables a link on a port
Is there any way of disabling a specific vlan, on which the loop is caused, instead of disabling the port?

BTW, EAS series switches, which have a similar to DLink firmware, have the option of loopdetect and they disable a specific vlan, not a whole port
8 REPLIES 8

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
Hi Nick,

the primary use case for ELRP is to protect against looped access ports. Even a trunk, e.g. to a hypervisor host, should be disabled in case of a loop via this access port, IMHO.

To selectively and dynamically block VLANs on inter switch links, you can use the different STP variants, EAPS, or ELRP.

In general, I would enable ELRP on access port only and disable the egress port if a loop is detected.

EXOS switches are quite flexible due to scripting, but I can only advise to exercise this flexibility with caution. All operations personnel needs to be able to debug the scripts, which in general is harder than writing it in the first place.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Thanks,
Erik

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Hello Nick,

Unfortunately there is not a way to disable a VLAN. I believe if the VLAN is disabled instead of the port it would make it difficult to locate where the loop originated from and shutdown traffic unnecessarily. If you are running ERLP on an uplink port you can exclude that port so it will not be disabled if a loop is detected. This way ELRP will still run and log if there is a loop but it won't disable the port.

I think you could catch the log and remove the port of the vlan with a script. That means the whole blocking would rely on your script.

Nick, we have a feature request already opened for this. It's a good feature.

GTM-P2G8KFN