Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme 5320 - "Device still initializing" in XIQ

Extreme 5320 - "Device still initializing" in XIQ

khiemdavidtran
New Contributor

Hello,

I've deployed 5320 in XIQ before without any issues.
But this week I received a brand new device and I can't get it to update in XIQ.
Here's what I did

• Physicall installed the switch
  • Connected it to the network
  • Powered it on
  • Added the serial number in XIQ and assigned a location and network policy

Once the switch finished booting it appeared online in XIQ with a pending update (name and network policy).
I attempted to

• push the update but the XIQ said the device was not managed
  • set the device as managed but XIQ said it was not in the unmanaged list

Finally I was able to

• set is as unmanaged
  • then set it back as managed

After a while the switch reappeared in XIQ online with a pending update.

I then tried to push the update again and was greated with an error "Device Update Failed"
When highlighting the error it says "Device still initializing.."
And it has been like that for a couple of hours already.

I've tried to reboot the switch physically but the situation remains the same.

I'm welcoming any information that can help me resolve this issue.
Thank you

-- David.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Gabriel_G
Extreme Employee

Hello!

This generally sounds like the following issue, which can happen if you have a non-default configuration:
https://extreme-networks.my.site.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000061429

Otherwise, I'd double check all of the other XIQ onboarding pre-reqs:
https://extreme-networks.my.site.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000107369

You can add the 'managed' column to your XIQ dashboard using the 'column picker' to see the device status while it is being onboarded.
Once the SN is added to XIQ, the device will be in a 'NEW' state.
Once the switch connects to XIQ for the first time, it will move to a 'BOOTSTRAP' state where it automatically updates the IQAgent version.
Once that is complete, the device will move to the 'MANAGED' state.

If there is an issue with one of the pre-reqs, the device will get stuck in bootstrap and will never move to 'managed' which was leading to your error.

If that doesn't help, you can try a manual upgrade of EXOS/SwitchEngine to the latest version and see if that alleviates any issues, but this shouldn't be required. 

Worst case scenario, give GTAC a call and they can help out!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

khiemdavidtran
New Contributor

Hi Javi, Gabriel,

when the issue occured I did try several times to delete the device from XIQ and onboard again without success.

For the "Device failed update issue" we actually identified that our firewall was blocking out some UDP traffice dedicated to NTP settings.
While the switch's time was correct it kept trying to contact an NTP server and failed resulting in it being stuck in "Initializing" mode.
After updating the firewall and restarting the switch we were able to onboard again and push updates.

The first issue still persist though.
I've encountered it with 1x factory resetted switch and 2x brand new switches out of the box.
Plugged them in, added the serial number to XIQ, waited until the switch showed as online with an uptime of about 10 min.
Then trying to push an update I got the Unmanaged issue.
The workaround is fairly simple but this is not a behaviour I had before.

Furthermore I checked my XIQ dashboard and I do not have the managed column. I don't even have the "Custom view" button.
Could this have been disabled by my admin?

Thanks,

-- David.

Gabriel_G
Extreme Employee

Hello!

This generally sounds like the following issue, which can happen if you have a non-default configuration:
https://extreme-networks.my.site.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000061429

Otherwise, I'd double check all of the other XIQ onboarding pre-reqs:
https://extreme-networks.my.site.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000107369

You can add the 'managed' column to your XIQ dashboard using the 'column picker' to see the device status while it is being onboarded.
Once the SN is added to XIQ, the device will be in a 'NEW' state.
Once the switch connects to XIQ for the first time, it will move to a 'BOOTSTRAP' state where it automatically updates the IQAgent version.
Once that is complete, the device will move to the 'MANAGED' state.

If there is an issue with one of the pre-reqs, the device will get stuck in bootstrap and will never move to 'managed' which was leading to your error.

If that doesn't help, you can try a manual upgrade of EXOS/SwitchEngine to the latest version and see if that alleviates any issues, but this shouldn't be required. 

Worst case scenario, give GTAC a call and they can help out!

Javi_Solis
Extreme Employee

Have you tried deleting and onboarding the device again? If you are still having issues with your specific switch, please reach out to GTAC at https://www.extremenetworks.com/support/contact

GTM-P2G8KFN