cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme equivalent of trunking

Extreme equivalent of trunking

brian_osgoiod
New Contributor
I am having difficulty understanding how multiple vlans are transported between extreme switches (not stacked) and how they are physically cabled. With cisco i create two trunk ports directly connected between switches and pass multiple vlans between these switches on the connected trunk ports or lags. How is this physically performed with extreme. What i see in the extreme documentation is tagging, but I find nothing pertaining to how these tags are assembled on a trunk like port and passed amongst switches...
43 REPLIES 43

Ok,

e61920ba861e40ef8b20109ff7cf0ff0_RackMultipart20180305-61666-mai43b-Captura_Enterasys_inline.png

could you please provide the output of "show vlan portinfo port ge.1.x" for both of the ports with the clients connected.

the model is Enterasys B3G124-48

what switch model is it?

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
The way cisco does it is, you set a port as a trunk and ALL vlans will egress that trunk port. If you want to restrict the vlans that egress that trunk, you explicitly deny that to pass through the trunk with filtering. Extreme / Enterasys and most everyone else... you simply just add each vlan to the port by tagging it.

So for enterasys:

set vlan egree 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 ge.1.1 tagged

That would be similar to

switchport encap dot1q
switchport mode trunk

On the cisco side, I would have to chop off vlan 4 and 5 from being egressed if I didn't want them to go over the trunk, everyone else you just simply don't include those vlans when tagging them on the port.

That being said, you need to be sure to tag the vlans on the uplinks and everyone inbetween. Cisco makes it easy, but it is less secure by default.
GTM-P2G8KFN