cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fabric Attach Standalone Proxy Uplink Port (EXOS)

Fabric Attach Standalone Proxy Uplink Port (EXOS)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Just considering the use of this feature in release 30, of which the following statement is provided in the CLI Guide says:

Standalone Proxy/Uplink Port

If there is no Fabric Attach-capable server available, configuring an uplink makes the device a
standalone proxy. This works like a proxy, but without having discovered a Fabric Attach server. The
uplink port is treated as the server port.

To enable standalone proxy mode and specify the uplink port, use the following command using the
port keyword:

configure fabric attach uplink [port | none]

What I'm not sure is what the 'uplink' port should be i.e:

• Spare not used port?
  • ISC link of an MLAG (if being used)?
  • Link to a Fabric attach switch?
  • Just one port or many?
Found a little more information in relation to ERS switches, although it hasn't helped me further find an answer:

FA Standalone Proxy introduces FA Proxy functionality in environments without an FA Server.

Regardless of whether the FA Standalone Proxy upstream device is a non-Extreme Networks component or an Extreme Networks device on which FA Server functionality is not available, FA Standalone Proxy operation supports standard FA Proxy processing as if an FA Server has been
discovered.

You can enable or disable FA Standalone Proxy support. By default, it is disabled. Enabling the FA Standalone Proxy mode enables immediate processing of pending I-SID/VLAN bindings, if other configuration data such as static uplink data allows the processing. Previously established settings based on FA Proxy operation, if present, are reset when FA Standalone Proxy operation is enabled.

Note:
In FA Standalone Proxy mode, I-SID values are not specified and are implicitly 0. Only bindings with an I-SID value equal to 0 are accepted for processing.

Disabling the FA Standalone Proxy mode resets configured I-SID/VLAN binding data to its default state and enables full FA Proxy operation.

In FA Standalone Proxy mode you must provide the FA Server uplink information, which is typically gathered through FA Server discovery. Once you provide this information, FA Standalone Proxy mode operates as if an FA Server has been discovered and is accepting I-SID/VLAN binding requests. The binding clean-up is similar to an FA Server timeout event, and occurs when the static uplink is deleted and when FA Standalone Proxy operation is disabled.

Note:
No interactions with an FA Server are supported in FA Standalone Proxy mode.

Configuring FA Standalone Proxy mode

Use this procedure to enable or disable the FA Standalone Proxy mode on the switch.

Procedure

1. Enter Global Configuration mode:
code:
enable
configure terminal

2. To enable FA Standalone Proxy mode, enter the following command:
code:
fa standalone-proxy

3. To disable FA Standalone Proxy mode, enter the following command:
code:
no fa standalone-proxy

4. To restore the FA Standalone Proxy mode to default, enter the following command:
code:
default fa standalone-proxy

Configuring the static uplink for FA Standalone Proxy mode

Use this procedure to specify a port or trunk to use as a static uplink associated with FA Standalone Proxy operation.

Procedure

1. Enter Global Configuration mode:
code:
enable
configure terminal

2. To specify a port uplink or a trunk uplink to use in FA Standalone Proxy mode, enter the
following command:
code:
fa uplink {port  | trunk }

3. To clear static uplink data, enter the following command:
code:
no fa uplink

Variable Definitions

The following table describes the parameters for the fa uplink command.

Variable Value

Specifies the port to use as a static uplink.
Specifies the trunk ID to use as a static uplink.

Should be working on this soon, so will post back the findings if there is no answer beforehand.

Many thanks in advance
1 REPLY 1

Anonymous
Not applicable
After speaking to one of the SE's it would seem I have the concept in reverse. The standalone proxy feature would be enabled at the edge, not on the core as I was expecting.

The term of configuring an uplink port then makes sense.

On the down link port from the core you would manually add every VLAN, with the dynamic assignment of the VLAN being added to the uplink on the edge by the fabric feature.

Will be trying this soon, so once done I will post back any lessons learnt.
GTM-P2G8KFN