Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help creating MLAG to 2 x X670V switches using a single 10GB port on each

Help creating MLAG to 2 x X670V switches using a single 10GB port on each

gonzoessex
New Contributor II

Hello,

I've got a VMware Host with 2 x 10Gb going into 2 X670V switches (1 port in each) where I set them up as a MLAG (LACP).  I've done this before and the port on the switches are usually the same, for example if it's port 10 on both switches I would use this:

Switch1
enable sharing 10 grouping 10 algorithm address-based custom lacp
enable mlag port 10 peer "SWITCH-2" id 10

Switch2
enable sharing 10 grouping 10 algorithm address-based custom lacp
enable mlag port 10 peer "SWITCH-1" id 10

And this will work fine.

Now I have a VMware host that goes into different ports and I'm not sure which part is I need to change.

So now I have the 10GB ports going into port 15 on switch 1 and port 22 on switch 2.  Would the following work as I think it's the "id" part is the remote port to bind with?

Switch 1
enable sharing 15 grouping 15 algorithm address-based custom lacp
enable mlag port 15 peer "SWITCH-2" id 22

Switch 2
enable sharing 22 grouping 22 algorithm address-based custom lacp
enable mlag port 22 peer "SWITCH-1" id 15

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Gabriel_G
Extreme Employee

Hello!

The MLAG ID is an arbitrary value that links together ports/LAGs across the 2 x670s. You'd want to use the SAME MLAG ID for ports that are going to the SAME Server/Device. 

#Sw1 port 15 and Sw2 port 22 go to the same downstream device (where the downstream device has both ports in a sinlge LAG)

#The ID is arbitrary, but should be the SAME for ports going to the SAME downstream device.

Switch 1
enable sharing 15 grouping 15 algorithm address-based custom lacp
enable mlag port 15 peer "SWITCH-2" id 500

Switch 2
enable sharing 22 grouping 22 algorithm address-based custom lacp
enable mlag port 22 peer "SWITCH-1" id 500

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

gonzoessex
New Contributor II

What command can I use to see the current ID's used?

gonzoessex
New Contributor II

Thanks that makes sense, so enable mlag port 15 peer "SWITCH-2" id 500 means enable the mlag for port 15 and bind with anything on id 500 on Switch-2?

Yes, that's right. The MLAG ID ties ports on one peer to ports on the other peer using the same MLAG ID. These ports should be going to the same downstream device that puts ALL ports to BOTH switches in the SAME LAG.

To see what IDs are in use,
show config vsm
show mlag port

Some other things to keep in mind with MLAG:
1) Any VLANs added to an MLAG port on one MLAG peer MUST be added to the corresponding ports (by MLAG ID) on the other MLAG Peer

2) Any VLANs added to an MLAG port on one MLAG peer MUST be added to both sides of the ISC link.

Hope that helps!

MartinS
New Contributor III

The ID number needs to match across both MLAG peers, so whatever you configure the ID number as one the one switch, you need to configure the same ID number on the other side for the ports on the other switch you want to bind together. 

GTM-P2G8KFN