cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set X440-24p back to Factory Default?

How do I set X440-24p back to Factory Default?

Jason_Weems
New Contributor II
So I setup this new out-of-box switch, I set the admin password, but I can no longer get into it. I obviously set the password to something that I can't seem to replicate. Anyways I am trying to set the switch back to factory default but I am not able to. I go into the bootloader by holding the space bar a the appropriate time. From there all documentation states to perform a config none command and reboot. Well this command is not accepted, it doesn't recognize the 'config' command. I have called TAC and they sent me the same documentation in which I have already read. I have not disabled the failsafe-account, but still has default username and password, but I don't know what they are. There is conflicting documentation on this, TAC stated that has to be manually set, other documentation states TAC has a utility to determine the creds for me. So what is the real deal here????? Getting frustrated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jason_Cohenour1
New Contributor II
Thank you for the help, I've trolled around and viewed the folllowing:
https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme/topics/how_do_you_reset_a_summit_x005F_x450a_24t_to_fa...
I am DL 15.3.4.6 now to upgrade XOS

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

Jason_Cohenour1
New Contributor II
I'm in the same boat as Jason, the other night I changed password for admin and typed ENCRYPTION, as this is what I would have done with a Cisco. Big Mistake, now I cannot login, as I deleted user account and did not setup failsafe.

I also typed ENCRYPTION on the backdoor account I created for myself.... BIG DUMMY. Why doesn't the manual tell you the SEVERE consequences of using the word encryption? IE: IF you fail to record the HASH of the password you entered entered you will NOT be able to log in to the account.

Removing the config.none command seems like a HORRIBLE idea causing maximum anguish for customers who have already made a mistake, by not leaving a method to default switch available.. Is extreme worried about someone breaking into a secure room or data center and stealing a switch and then hacking the config??

So please, What do I need to type from BootRom > in order to get this switch running again?

PC has IP address of 10.0.1.21/24
Do I plug patch cable into MGT port on switch?

I have solar winds TFTP server running on my PC and used it to get SummitX-15.3.1.4-patch1-19-ssh.xmod installed on the switch before I tanked it.

Thanks,

Jason Cohenour

My switches are Summit X440-48p Purchased last week.

Sumit_Tokle
Contributor
No issue.. Let us know if you need any more information ..

Jason_Weems
New Contributor II
That did seem to work, thx for your help.

Jason_Weems
New Contributor II
Well it now looks like the image download is working now. We tried a different tftp server software and that handles it apparently. It appears to download once at a block size of 1428, but then downloads it again at a smaller block size of 512. I don't know why it needs to download it twice but its done formatting the partitions and is now installing the image.

Bad TFTP server software: Blue Pumpkin

Good TFTP server software: WinAgents

We also placed the switch address within the same Class C address range even though they are in a Class B subnet.

GTM-P2G8KFN