cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inter vlan routing not working. cannot ping the device sitting in a different subnet (EXOS X465)

Inter vlan routing not working. cannot ping the device sitting in a different subnet (EXOS X465)

jwumcp
New Contributor

Hello

We set up an X465 switch that has two vlans. vlan default and vlan b. ipforwarding enabled. However, device 1 sitting in vlan default cannot ping device2 sitting in vlan b. What I don’t understand is device2 can ping device 1. Can someone shed some light so that I know how to fix this issue.

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5

jwumcp
New Contributor

The issue seems to be resolved after we load the new software.  Thank you all for the input and advice.

CWurm
Contributor

Hi jwumcp,

you can also try these commands:

ping vr vr-default <client IP in vlan A> from <switch IP in vlan B>

or

ping vr vr-default <client IP in vlan B> from <switch IP in vlan A>

And of course replace the IP addresses accordingly  This will ping the device from the specified IP address on your X465. If you don’t specify the source IP address your switch will use the IP address located near to the destination, i.e. it will ping from the same VLAN. Specifying an different source will force the switch to ping from another VLAN.

Kind regards

Christian

jwumcp
New Contributor

Thank you Ronald and Sandro for your response. Sorry i did not check the forum lately. I contacted Extreme Support and I was advised to do software upgrade, I did not get a chance to do this yet. Will let you guys know if this resolve the issue.

Thank you again.

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor

Firewall enabled on device#2 ?!

Are you able to ping device#2 from another device in the same VLAN ?

-Ron

GTM-P2G8KFN