Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iproute if only using L2

iproute if only using L2

JeremyClarkson
New Contributor
Hi,

I would like to put an example to every one and see what their thoughts are.

- configure vlan DATA add ports all untagged
- configure vlan DATA ipaddress 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0

Now we have a router attached with Default Gateway 192.168.0.254

Do we need to add the following for packets to traverse?

- configure iproute add default 192.168.0.254

Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

OscarK
Extreme Employee
It all depends from where that remote access is done, from another subnet.
You can compare it to a PC needing a default gateway but it does not route traffic itself.

You only need 1 default gateway.

JeremyClarkson
New Contributor
so when the VLAN interface is created the direct iproute is also created and this is added if we want to use VLAN routing correct?

why would an iproute be created with the gateway as the VLAN interface?

Im basically only concerned about remote access - so for every remote access that we want to connect to the VLAN interface we need to specify the default gateway?

simon_bingham
New Contributor II
No a route is created but only for the local subnet, how can the switch know about other networks ? if must a) we add a static route b) run a dynamic routing protocol like ospf. the route in the table you see is just the device saying " I have this local network connected me ", as a complete side if you ever have all the in the interfaces in a vlan go down the route disappears ( correctly ) .

OscarK
Extreme Employee
When you configure the IP address on a vlan the route to that subnet of the vlan itself will be created. Only when you want to reach subnets outside your local subnet (not 192.168.0.0/24) you need a static route. The route to the local subnet is a direct route (this is where the #d stands for).

JeremyClarkson
New Contributor
Is the dynamic route not created when we create an interface?

We dont use routing, we only use remote access.

Its working at L2
GTM-P2G8KFN