cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advise about QoS for leased fiber line.

Need advise about QoS for leased fiber line.

Rahman_Duran
Contributor
Hi,

We have a remote campus (Y) that is connected to central campus (X) via 30 mbit/s leased fiber. We have S4 as router at X campus and X460-G2 at Y campus. We use static routing and the point to point VLAN is 139.

As we have 30 mbit/s line, ISP company is dropping packets that exceeds 30 mbit/s. Mostly it is download trafffic for campus Y (X ---> Y) that is egressing S4 and ingressing X460-G2. This is having negative effect on our internal services like VoIP, internal web applications etc. So is there any way to tell X460-G2 that even the port is showing 1G fiber in it, it is actually a 30 mbit/s connection and just make the given IP subnets (for internal services) have precedence? We don't care if campus Y has a laggy internet connection when they fill 30mbit/s. But we want to make sure internal services not effected.

Is this possible?

Regards

Rahman

6 REPLIES 6

EtherMAN
Contributor III
you have to stop the traffic before it hits your choke point so if the S4 is the source of the traffic you must set up the policies and QOS to reflect the link speed... priority traffic gets as much as it needs in a higher Que than you other traffic which you must limit to less than your priority traffic needs... so say you priority traffic needs 10 mbs, then you must limit the everything else to 20 mbs.

No, I did not configure anything yet. I am just trying to learn my options here. I read the links you provide but I don't know if these will work. Beacuse this is not a direct fiber connection between S4 and X460. The vlan 139 travels many ISP switch and I doubt their gear will respect QoS tagging of the packages?

Edit: I think the key point here is to limit traffic to 30 mbit on S4 so ISP can not butcher the packets exceeding 30 mbit randomly. Then the QoS prioritization on S4 should do its job.

Regards,

Rahman Duran

Rahman_Duran
Contributor
*BUMP*

Hi,

Ok, let me make it more specific. As the problem is traffic that egressing S4 and ingressing X460-g2 is filling 30 mbit/s capacity, I think I need to make configurations on S4 as it is the source of the traffic.

So is it possible to limit a 1G physical port on S4 to 30 mbit/s and within this 30 mbit pool, create some rules for some specific destination and source IPs that will guarantee some bandwidth and give priority to this rule?

Regards,

Rahman

GTM-P2G8KFN