cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PoE device knocks out my switchport until I reboot the switch

PoE device knocks out my switchport until I reboot the switch

Jack_Kelly
New Contributor
Hey guys, I've been having this ongoing issue with my x440-48p's.

I had a contractor come in a few weeks ago, who kept trying to connect a low-end PoE switch to one of my switchports - using one of the powered ports on his switch to uplink.

Immediately upon connecting, the port on my 48p would start blinking amber/green. When he moved it to another port, he knocked out that port too. Affected ports kept blinking amber/green until I rebooted the entire switch. Then they were fine.

Recently, another contractor came in while I was on vacation and did the same thing. I read them the riot act of course, but now I'm curious: Am I going to have to reboot my switches again, or is there a way to clear the error status for a port?

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

@ Paul is absolutely correct. Let us know which software running on switch?

What is log messages appeared on switch when this issue happened? I could provide you the small script to reset that port automatically when certain alarms would get generated.

Great Jack.

I am still going to test. If you get a log message one of the things we can look at is doing a dynamic UPM profile where if we see the log message automatically run these commands to bring the port up without user intervention.

Does that make sense?

P

Hey Paul,
Y'know, I had tried disabling + enabling the port, and then tried disabling + re-enabling inline power, but I never tried doing both at the same time.

Upon doing so.... it worked! I've got my ports back. Thanks a ton man!
GTM-P2G8KFN