Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

routing between two Vlan

routing between two Vlan

Nadir
New Contributor
scenario:
if I have two vlan IT , Vlan HR for example ,
assign 172.16.0.1\24 for vlan IT , pc1 belongs to it (172.16.0.100)
assign 192.168.0.1/24 for vlan HR ,pc2 belongs to it (192.168.0.100)

how to ping from pc1 to pc2, uses VR-Router.

thanks alot
4 REPLIES 4

Nadir
New Contributor
Thanks, BR

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II
Hi Nadir,

VR-Routers IMHO is something that was introduced before VRFs, the idea is pretty simple - to be able to use separate routing tables for each VR, that allows subnets to overlap without mutual interruption. What for? I seek use cases at service providers and R&D, where many tenants might wish or have to use some subnets of their own choice without having any knowledge about other tenants' addressing space. VR/VRFs might be also used in L3 VPN scenario.
On all EXOS switches there are two VRs out of the box, VR-Mgmt and VR-Default. VR-Mgmt is just a separate 'routing instance' for handling IP communication related to the OOB management interface, and VR-Default is the main routing instance. On all but X440-G2/X620 you can create tens of additional VRs for your purposes (OTOH VRFs are of greater scalability). Under normal operation you don't need more so you rely on VR-Default.
Please take care, features like ping, tftp, syslog and others might use VR-Mgmt or VR-Default by default, so it is a good habit to specify VR-Default for some of these. It is also important, that a VLAN can be contained only within a single VR (VR-Default is the destination when you do 'create vlan' without any other keywords).
For more info you can always have a look at 'Virtual Routers' chapter in EXOS User Guide. 🙂

Hope that helps,
Tomasz

Nadir
New Contributor
Hi Tomasz
Thanks, I understand that, could you explain me about VR-Router consept.
when I need to use VR?

Regards,

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II
Hi Nadir,

Do you ask for config from the scratch?
code:
create vlan IT tag 10
create vlan HR tag 20
configure vlan IT ipaddress 172.16.0.1/24 #or 'conf IT ip 172.16.0.1/24'
configure vlan HR ipaddress 192.168.0.1/24
enable ipforwarding #without providing a VLAN for that command it'll enable IP forwarding (routing) on all VLANs that have IP addresses already configured
configure vlan IT add ports [port list, e.g. 1-3, 4,7,9, 1-3,6,8-15,22] untagged #the word 'untagged' is default so could be skipped, just to show you they can also be tagged in case of an end-system tagging its traffic
configure vlan HR add ports [port list] untagged

Should you have any further questions, just let us know.
You might also want to have a look at the EXOS User Guide and EXOS Command Reference for further clarification on any EXOS-related topic, it's a great reference tool: https://www.extremenetworks.com/support/documentation/extremexos-22-6/

Hope that helps,
Tomasz
GTM-P2G8KFN