cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

setup vlans one for ip's for phones and the other for ip's for the computer

setup vlans one for ip's for phones and the other for ip's for the computer

Neil_Smith
New Contributor
hello I am seeing a lot of different information about setting up vlans. i would like to setup vlans on extreme switch summit 250e 24port. I would like to have as much ports in the vlans as possible, is there an article or video that steps me through this?
24 REPLIES 24

thats just the thing! way to much information out there to comb through and I am not looking for anything eleberate! its a straight forward setup. Its just a 15101 summit x250e 24-10/100, 2 shared 10/100/1000 with 2 GBIC Ports. with only 10 connections to the switch. But thanks for the feedback!!

Syed_Arshad
New Contributor II
Hi Neil,

For this kind of setup, generally the IP Phones are connected to the switch and computers are connected via the Ethernet port of the IP phone.

If this is the setup, You need to tag the ports with voice vlan and untagged them with Data.

On the up-links too, voice should be tagged and data untagged.

Thanks
Syed Arshad

Hi Syed, thanks for responding, yes I am familiar with the voip phones with the switch on the back. and worked with the extreme switch a long time ago. ok so tag ports for example 5 through 24 with the 801.2q for the voice and also untag them as well for the data? this is going to be fun, I probably wont use the uplink very small office only about 10 end users. but I'll tag it anyway : -) currently I am getting the ip addresses from my firewall, I will have to setup another subnet for the phones, so on the switch I will have to setup a port management ip address for both? that is how the switch will know to get ip address for one or the other subnet?

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Hi Neil, Before we can decide how many ports go in each VLAN, you will need to know how many phones and how many computers will be connected to the switch. The X250 has two 1G ports to use for uplinks (with 100M ports elsewhere), so you don't want to bottleneck your users. QoS on your uplinks may be necessary to prevent problems. How big is your overall deployment? -Drew

Hi Drew, thanks for responding, the switch is a 15101 summit x250e 24-10/100, 2 shared 10/100/1000 with 2 GBIC Ports. Its a small branch office moving to a new building, there are about 12 phones and 10 pcs,the avaya 5610 phone is a voip phone with a switch on the back, the pc's can connect to the phone for data. so only about 15 connections to the switch including network printers and wap. Its an old switch, I hope I can get in with the default p/w if not would have to hard reset the device, I notice the db9 serial connector is male, I'll have to try to putty into the device.
GTM-P2G8KFN