Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show whole switch/backplane throughput

Show whole switch/backplane throughput

Daniel_LRA
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking for a way to see how much throughput our core switches are processing, so basically the backplane throughput. We're planning to install a firewall in our LAN, which would be the main routing device between all VLANs, so it would be good to know how much traffic it would have to deal with to choose proper hardware. Is there a way to do this on an XOS switch or in the Extreme Management Center? Monitoring the traffic of one or multiple virtual routers could also be enough.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I would think you would be okay with flipping that on.  But if there is any production concern, you can toggle it on a couple vlans at a time and check "top" to verify the CPU is not getting hammered. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CThompsonEXOS
Extreme Employee

Hi Daniel,

This may be the easiest way without a lot of configuration:
https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000080671

You can use "show cli journal" to see when the command/monitoring was issues and run the "show vlan statistics" command at certain intervals to see how many are hitting the switch.

Thanks,

Chris Thompson

I'll give it a try, thanks. Should I expect a performance hit when monitoring about 30 vlans on a X690 for some hours?

I would think you would be okay with flipping that on.  But if there is any production concern, you can toggle it on a couple vlans at a time and check "top" to verify the CPU is not getting hammered. 

GTM-P2G8KFN