Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIP-T21(P) E2 YEALINK IP PHONES IN THE NETWORK CREATE CONGESTION ON PORTS

SIP-T21(P) E2 YEALINK IP PHONES IN THE NETWORK CREATE CONGESTION ON PORTS

abhijit_roy
New Contributor
Hi All,

I am facing an issue in last couple of months, I have 4 no's of X440G2-48p-10G4 access switches in the network, one of the switch in the network got connected with above mentioned IP Phones like as follows due to scarcity of the physical port

User End Port Connected to Internet port of IP Phone, and P.C Port of IP Phone connected to Desktops, I have observed that on those particular ports where IP Phones are connected facing port congestion issues,  and counters are incremental, and fluctuation in voice calls, for that for testing I have bypass the IP Phone and connect one to one like P.C to Switch and IP Phone to Switch, on that scenario I have observed port congestion in ports connected to IP Phone and there is no congestion in P.C Port, all the IP phones are apparently new.

So I was wondering if I have to enable any specific Protocol like lldp or anything else to avoid this scenario for access switches, and also please suggest about the recommended practice to connect IP Phones in the network.
10 REPLIES 10

BrandonC
Extreme Employee
Hi,

Were the utilization counters cleared prior to checking them? Or was there congestion present while checking them?

If congestion was not present and the counters had been cleared, any possible overutilization may not be apparent from the counters.

Gabriel_G
Extreme Employee

Hello,

Could you confirm how long you observed the utilization and if the port congestion was happening at that time?

Note that the port utilization statistics are 5s averages from when you start looking at the output of the command. If you collected this output when there was no congestion, it may not show high utilization. You can also have congestion with low utilization due to bursty traffic.

abhijit_roy
New Contributor
Hi,

Sorry for delayed response, here is following statistics of port utilization

Link Speed  Rx % bandwidth  Peak Rx % bandwidth  Tx % bandwidth Peak Tx bandwidth
100                 0.00                        2.38                                     0.08                               4.74

Rx Pkts/sec    Peak Rx pkts/sec     Tx Pkts/sec    Peak Tx pkts/sec
        0                         286                          16                         498

Rx bytes/sec    Peak Rx bytes/sec    Tx bytes/sec      Peak Tx bytes/sec
       74                       427471                      3821                      582670

It will be very helpful if you can suggest any alternative solutions of this problem.

Gabriel_G
Extreme Employee
Hello,

It sounds like the links are simply being over-utilized causing port congestion. Having a workstation connection and also an IP phone may be too much traffic for a 100M link. You can check 'show port <#> utilization' and press [spacebar] to see how much you're utilizing those ports during congestion.
GTM-P2G8KFN