Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIP-T21(P) E2 YEALINK IP PHONES IN THE NETWORK CREATE CONGESTION ON PORTS

SIP-T21(P) E2 YEALINK IP PHONES IN THE NETWORK CREATE CONGESTION ON PORTS

abhijit_roy
New Contributor
Hi All,

I am facing an issue in last couple of months, I have 4 no's of X440G2-48p-10G4 access switches in the network, one of the switch in the network got connected with above mentioned IP Phones like as follows due to scarcity of the physical port

User End Port Connected to Internet port of IP Phone, and P.C Port of IP Phone connected to Desktops, I have observed that on those particular ports where IP Phones are connected facing port congestion issues,  and counters are incremental, and fluctuation in voice calls, for that for testing I have bypass the IP Phone and connect one to one like P.C to Switch and IP Phone to Switch, on that scenario I have observed port congestion in ports connected to IP Phone and there is no congestion in P.C Port, all the IP phones are apparently new.

So I was wondering if I have to enable any specific Protocol like lldp or anything else to avoid this scenario for access switches, and also please suggest about the recommended practice to connect IP Phones in the network.
10 REPLIES 10

abhijit_roy
New Contributor
Hi,

I have observed in detail, as per your suggestion, following is the details
1. There is some congestion in some workstation ports in network, but there is no major problem.
2. There is no rxerror.
3. yes in show ports flow-control there is  huge congestion in ip phones port.
4. yes after disabling rx pause also I am facing port congestion for IP Phones.

Gabriel_G
Extreme Employee

Hello,

I'd be concerned with the phone only supporting 10/100 Mbps connections as having a workstation behind the phone will likely congest that link.

I'd check the following from the switch:
1) Are other wired clients having issue or just IP Phone/Workstation ports? Checking if your wired network is stable in general.
2) show port <#> rxerrors
any errors here indicate a layer 1 issue (bad port/cable)
3) show port <#> flow-control
if you see pause-frames, that could cause congestion. you can test with disabling pause-frames with this command:
disable flow-control rx-pause port <#>
4) show port <#> congestion
If you see congestion after disabling pause-frames, you are over-utilizing the link to the IP phone which may happen if the phone only supports 10/100 Mbps connections.

I'd recommend creating a GTAC case if you're still having issues.

Hope that helps!

abhijit_roy
New Contributor
Hi Gabriel,

Following is my concerns in detail for this case

This type of connections of IP Phones has been enabled in my network from last couple of months, and following are consequences of such(I am suspicious of that)

a) Some P.C internet connections/lan got hang we have to reboot the p.c to come back to the network.
b) During conversation of users between IP phones sometimes voice got distorted, we have to disconnect the call and reconnect, it seems like network fluctuations.
c) As I have said earlier that for testing I have made direct connection to IP Phones and Desktops from switch, on such scenario also port congestion found in IP phones and there is no congestion on P.C, so my doubt is I am doing any mistake in process to connect any IP Phone in network, or is this IP Phones have any problem(Though supplier are said all IP Phones are quite new).
d) And this IP Phones are 10/100, and current x440 switch is 10/100/1000 with auto on, for that is there any issue.
e) Also P.C and IP Phones are in same sub vlan, for that also there may be any issue?

Overall my concern is to get permanent solution of this problem, as users are facing problems frequently as I have described above, Kindly suggest

Thanks again for your cooperation and support.

Gabriel_G
Extreme Employee
Hello,

I'm not sure what you're asking specifically; their is no official recommendation to be made.

However, note that you can check for layer 1 errors on the switch port via the command 'show port <#> rxerrors'.

Hope that helps!

abhijit_roy
New Contributor
Hi ,

Thanks for your suggestion, also kindly suggest what will  be the  Extreme recommended standard practice to set up network on this kind of situation, and how to detect if there is any error on  end point devices or switch port vice versa on such case?

Thanks
GTM-P2G8KFN