cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spanning Tree - * next to port

Spanning Tree - * next to port

Michael_M
New Contributor II

Im trying to troubleshoot a spanning tree blocking issue. When I try to reproduce the issue in my lab I cant seem to do it.

The only configuration difference I can see between my lab and production switch is if I run the show stpd detail command when it lists Participating VLANs all my VLANs are shown and all the ports seem to be correct, but the 60 port show as 60*(F) in my production switch and 60(F) in my lab.

I cant seem to figure out what the " * " represents. I think my upload port (which happens to be port 60) is being disabled even though I have it set as an edge port

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

CThompsonEXOS
Extreme Employee

The * is referencing that it is a LAG port.

The commands "show stpd s0 ports non-forwarding-reason" and " show stpd s0 ports blocked-ports"

Below is more information regarding the edge configuration you may be using:

https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000082693

Thanks,

Chris Thompson

View solution in original post

Chris_H
Extreme Employee

I believe the asterisk in the "show stpd detail" output stands for the fact that it's the master-port of a link aggregation. Check if sharing is enabled on port 60 in your production setup, but not in your lab.

The uplink should not be configured as "edge" as depending on your configuration you may have set it up to be disabled as soon as an STP BPDU enters that link (edge-safeguard with bpdu-restrict), which could take the port down.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Michael_M
New Contributor II

That makes sense now. My production server is in a LAG, but not my lab setup.
Thank you for the answers.

Chris_H
Extreme Employee

I believe the asterisk in the "show stpd detail" output stands for the fact that it's the master-port of a link aggregation. Check if sharing is enabled on port 60 in your production setup, but not in your lab.

The uplink should not be configured as "edge" as depending on your configuration you may have set it up to be disabled as soon as an STP BPDU enters that link (edge-safeguard with bpdu-restrict), which could take the port down.

CThompsonEXOS
Extreme Employee

The * is referencing that it is a LAG port.

The commands "show stpd s0 ports non-forwarding-reason" and " show stpd s0 ports blocked-ports"

Below is more information regarding the edge configuration you may be using:

https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000082693

Thanks,

Chris Thompson

GTM-P2G8KFN