Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stacking of 5520 series switches using QSFP to SFP+ adapter

stacking of 5520 series switches using QSFP to SFP+ adapter

NN_QA
New Contributor

Hi,

Is it possible to stack 5520 switch using QSFP to SFP+ adapter? if no what is the QSFP and Stack cable can use for stacking . 

Thanks & regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Hi Nakul,

According to Extreme Stacking Tool 5520 switches support SummitStackV via 10G interfaces, so yes, this should be possible, but not preferred. Might I ask why you want to do this? Are the switches in separate rooms and you need to stack via long distance and need a cheaper solution for that?

Best regards
Stefan

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Robert_Zdzieblo
Contributor II

Hello,

5520 series comes with two QSFP28 ports, described as stacking ports.

However, stacking tool says: "5520 switches can only stack with each other, or with 5420/5320 switches via the use of a VIM-4X module".

Can anyone confirm: are we able to stack 5520 using QSFP28 ports?

REGARDS

Robert

Yes, you can stack 5520 using QSFP28 Ports. The question is, if we can also use these Ports if we use QSFP -> SFP+ Adapters. But I checked the StackingTool again and it says that a VIM-4X is required... So the answer is probably no. 

Hi robert,

I am trying to use QSFP ports for stacking not VIM ports.

Thanks & Regards

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Hi Nakul,

According to Extreme Stacking Tool 5520 switches support SummitStackV via 10G interfaces, so yes, this should be possible, but not preferred. Might I ask why you want to do this? Are the switches in separate rooms and you need to stack via long distance and need a cheaper solution for that?

Best regards
Stefan

GTM-P2G8KFN