Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stacking of 5520 series switches using QSFP to SFP+ adapter

stacking of 5520 series switches using QSFP to SFP+ adapter

NN_QA
New Contributor

Hi,

Is it possible to stack 5520 switch using QSFP to SFP+ adapter? if no what is the QSFP and Stack cable can use for stacking . 

Thanks & regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Hi Nakul,

According to Extreme Stacking Tool 5520 switches support SummitStackV via 10G interfaces, so yes, this should be possible, but not preferred. Might I ask why you want to do this? Are the switches in separate rooms and you need to stack via long distance and need a cheaper solution for that?

Best regards
Stefan

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hi stefan,

I already ordered QSFP to SFP+ adapter ,later only i came to know that there is dedicated QSFP and stacking cables are available. If the adapter is not working in stack then i have to go for qsfp and yes cost also one thing ,if i go for qsfp then i have to buy license for 40 gb also.

I am using 5520(RH102BF) switch, i believe this is not summit stack.

Nakul_1-1706534985926.png

Thanks & Regards,

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Hi Nakul,

no license is required to use the QSFP28 Ports, neither for Stacking nor for Ethernet.

Hi stefan,

By default port speed will be 10 gbps.if i want to use 40 gbps then licence required.

thanks & regards,

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Huh? Really? Where is this stated? I only know this from X440-G2 and 5320 switches if you want to use 10Gig. There is an 10Gig License available to purchase. But I don't see a 40Gig License for 5520.

Did you test it? Did you see an log-entry that notified about the missing license?

using qsfp port as 10gig license not required, if w r using 40gig may be required.i read some where in the doc.

GTM-P2G8KFN