Temperature for 5320-24p-8xe

Temperature for 5320-24p-8xe

jcrower
New Contributor

Hey all,

We have two 5320-24p-8xe stacked.

Doing a show temperature shows both switches as below:

Field Replaceable Units Temp (C) Status Min Normal Max
------------------------------------------------- --------- ------- --- ------- ---
Slot-1 : 5320-24P-8XE       69.32        Normal 0   10-100   110
Slot-2 : 5320-24P-8XE      67.88        Normal 0   10-100   110

Is this normal temperature considering they have just been installed and are not currently doing much?  And Max 110 seems quite a lot (assuming it is celsius and not fahrenheit).

Our stacked Cisco 9300's which are doing all our layer 3 stuff run less than that.

thanks

jc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Gabriel_G
Extreme Employee

Hi JC,

I have a local 5320-48T that is running about the same temp, mid 60s.

The temps are in Celsius, that is correct.
The highest 'normal' temp is 100C, the highest temp the switch will allow before it automatically shuts off is 110C.

There is always a tradeoff of how fast to spin fans versus how hot to let the switch get. There is no way to manually adjust the fan speed, the switch will automatically set a suitable fan speed based on active load, PoE load, temperature of various sensors etc.

As long as the temp is in the 'normal' range and your fans are not 'failed' in 'show fans', then you're good to go!

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

FredrikB-NN2
Contributor

Actually, some EXOS platforms allow you to tweak the fan speed, but that's more on the debug side I guess (debug hal configure forcefanpercent). There is no way of getting back to automatic fan speed unless you reboot the switch.

Temperature is measured at different points in different switches. Different vendors have different policies for reporting temperature. Some measure on a hot CPU, some air outflow, some on some other surface. In one DC, these switch models are placed in the same rack but show vastly different temperatures:

X690: 70°C

X696: 37°C (a few in the same temp range)

X870: 90°C (a few in the same temp range)

This one is interesting (switch and interface module):

Switch : 5720-48MXW 78.37 Normal 0 10-100 110
5720-VIM-2CE-1 : 31.62 Normal 0 10-100 110

All have 10-100 as their normal range. That's what is odd to me, not that the temp readings differ. Will the X695 still live if the temp goes up by 63°C?

jcrower
New Contributor

No worries, thanks @Gabriel_G,.  Just wanted to be certain the temp limits were ok so I can adjust our monitoring systems accordingly.

Gabriel_G
Extreme Employee

Hi JC,

I have a local 5320-48T that is running about the same temp, mid 60s.

The temps are in Celsius, that is correct.
The highest 'normal' temp is 100C, the highest temp the switch will allow before it automatically shuts off is 110C.

There is always a tradeoff of how fast to spin fans versus how hot to let the switch get. There is no way to manually adjust the fan speed, the switch will automatically set a suitable fan speed based on active load, PoE load, temperature of various sensors etc.

As long as the temp is in the 'normal' range and your fans are not 'failed' in 'show fans', then you're good to go!

Hope that helps!

GTM-P2G8KFN