cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X440 IPForwarding Not Working as Expected

X440 IPForwarding Not Working as Expected

Justin_Brooks
New Contributor
I currently have and X440 at one of my sites that I am creating a new VLAN to add in some additional IP's. I successfully did this at another site and it worked like a charm, but this one seems to not be cooperating. I have both rip and ipforwarding enabled on the Default and the new VLAN. The Default VLAN can ping the IP of the new VLAN and the new VLAN can ping the IP of the Default VLAN, but the new VLAN can't ping any devices on the old VLAN and the old VLAN can't ping any devices on the new VLAN.

I find it odd that the same config worked at another site, but doesn't on this one. The only difference from one site to another is the IP addresses used.
13 REPLIES 13

Justin_Brooks
New Contributor
With how all of our sites are set up, we have a Cisco router that our ISP manages. That router is connected to an Extreme switch, the Extreme switch then connects to all of the other Extreme switches at the site. On the first switch, I have the Default VLAN and this new WIFI VLAN on, with ipforwarding and rip enabled. It will be the only switch that will have this new VLAN as port 3 will eventually be a trunk to a Cisco WLAN controller.
I am still uncertain why it would work with this configuration at one site, but not another.... unless my ISP didn't put in the route to the new VLAN properly?

I would be using this first switch as the gateway for anything on the new VLAN.

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Does the device you are pinging have a route back to the WIFI VLAN? From what I can see the WIFI VLAN is completely segregated from the other switches. It is possible that the pings are making it but not making it back.

Justin_Brooks
New Contributor
I am currently only attempting to ping from the switch itself to a device on the Default VLAN (10.0.20.0/22), port 3 was just added so it would be ready for when it was working. I am actually using "ping 10.0.20.211 from 10.1.22.210" to attempt to ping a device that I know is on, but does not respond from the WIFI VLAN. If I just ping the device normally "ping 10.0.20.211" it responds.

OscarK
Extreme Employee
Please make sure the X440 is not the L2 only model that cannot do routing.

It allowed me to enable forwarding, so it should be fine then.
GTM-P2G8KFN