Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X450G2-48P-10GE4 Power

X450G2-48P-10GE4 Power

Ian_Broadway
New Contributor III
Hi All,

quick query;

If I use dual power supplies in the x450-g2 xos switch will it distribute power between the two power supplies?

If I had a decent amount of PoE devices on it for example, say 300W worth of devices, would it balance that draw across the two supplies or will it only utilise one and the other is purely for backup? 

I assume at some point, the more draw you add, the other supply will start to be used if so?

the planned setup is;

12 switches in a rack, dual power supplies for each. (1100W version)

I have 2 x 16 way IEC PDUs of which are both 16 AMP rated.

I would have power supply 1 of each switch in one PDU and PS2 of each switch in the other PDU.

Bearing in mind that our PoE devices are somewhere between 4 and 7 watts each I don't ever envisage getting near the budget for the switch (think its 30W per port)

but if the switches only utilise one PSU first then essentially I can use my 16 amps of power on one of the PDUs pretty quickly I imagine.

300W x 12 is 3600W @ 230v (im in the UK) then that's 15 Amps alone! (assuming they dont load balance the power)

hope that makes sense

Ian​
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Gabriel_G
Extreme Employee
Hi Ian,

A quick note from our HW guide:
ExtremeSwitching Hardware Installation Guide (extremenetworks.com)
https://documentation.extremenetworks.com/extremeswitching/downloads/EXOS30_HWInstall.pdf

Replaceable Internal Power Supplies
Several ExtremeSwitching switch models have two bays for installing one or two replaceable AC or DC power supplies.
In a redundant power configuration, both power supplies are fully fault-tolerant and load-sharing.
You can remove one power supply without interrupting switch operation.

While they probably wont be 100% balanced, the split usage is probably okay for your use case. Once installed, you can check 'show power detail' to check the power usage per PSU.

Kind Regards,
Gabriel

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Gabriel_G
Extreme Employee
Hi Ian,

A quick note from our HW guide:
ExtremeSwitching Hardware Installation Guide (extremenetworks.com)
https://documentation.extremenetworks.com/extremeswitching/downloads/EXOS30_HWInstall.pdf

Replaceable Internal Power Supplies
Several ExtremeSwitching switch models have two bays for installing one or two replaceable AC or DC power supplies.
In a redundant power configuration, both power supplies are fully fault-tolerant and load-sharing.
You can remove one power supply without interrupting switch operation.

While they probably wont be 100% balanced, the split usage is probably okay for your use case. Once installed, you can check 'show power detail' to check the power usage per PSU.

Kind Regards,
Gabriel
GTM-P2G8KFN