Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4048 onboarding-vlan in VOSS 8.2

4048 onboarding-vlan in VOSS 8.2

tfsnetman
Contributor

Hello,

On a new GNS3 VSP switch running VOSS 8.2 all ports are members of vlan 4048 called onboarding-vlan.

Haven’t seen this before and I was wondering what it is being used for.

Thanks, Klaus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Roger_Lapuh
Extreme Employee

Hi Klaus

With release 8.2 we have introduced the first step of zero-touch-onboarding. With 8.3 we will be introducing the second step. Step 1 is a per device functionality, while 8.3 will be expanding it to be a network wide onboarding solution. 

8.2 puts all ports by default into a private VLAN, with 8.3 this PVLAN is extended to be a network wide ETREE. The idea is that the ETREE is terminated at one switch that provides access to the network management segment (DHCP, DNS, XMC, XIQ, Radius...). In addition, in 8.3 all ports will be up by default. This means, that you can power up a device and then it will:

1. enable its ports
  2. make all ports member of the onboarding PVLAN/ISID 4048
  3. make all ports auto-sense
  4. auto-sense ports will detect whether they are connected to another fabric node, FA device, or regular device and then automatically bring up the ports accordingly. This means zero-touch-fabric will establish your fabric without any manual intervention. The only thing is that there needs to be a nick-name-server enabled somewhere in the fabric and access to the management segment provided.
  5. non network devices will end up in the onboarding pvlan/ETREE and thus won’t be able to communicate with each other, but only with the onboarding / management segment.

The reason for the PVLAN/ETREE is to ensure we don’t just create an onboarding flooding domain that includes all ports of the network, but a securely segmented onboarding segment where devices can only "see” the management segment and nothing else.

For details and a demo of this, please go to my Extreme vConnect session under the ITWarrior topic. 

I hope this helps.

Roger

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Roger_Lapuh
Extreme Employee

yes, that’s the one. Thanks for sharing.

Roger

tfsnetman
Contributor

Hi Roger,

Is it this one?

https://www.extremeconnectvirtual.com/live/ondit-automate

Thanks, Klaus

Here is a link to YT as the above no longer works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m35pzpsXtlc starting at minute 10

tfsnetman
Contributor

Hi Roger,

Sounds exciting.

Since my searches didn’t take me where I wanted would you mind sharing the link to your vConnect session?

Much appreciated,

Klaus

GTM-P2G8KFN