cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme 5520 VLAN Management w/VOSS

Extreme 5520 VLAN Management w/VOSS

mike71
New Contributor II

Hello, my name is Mike and I am new to the extreme world and was wondering if someone could please shed some light on setting up a new extreme 5520-48w POE switch. I am trying to configure VLAN management through the fiber VIM module. Currently the switch is running my POE phones which work great through the VIM module, so i know the connectivity is good. The only problem is that I cant figure out how to remotely manage the switch passing through the VIM module. The MGMT OOB port in the back is the only way i can manage the switch currently. Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you dont mind please elaborate for me the best you can. I attached my config for review. Thank you kindly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mike71
New Contributor II

Jave, thanks for this info. Once i added the vlan ID after "Vlan MGMT  <ID>" , it worked great. One thing i did read though and im not sure if this made a difference or not, but apparently the VIM module doesnt start off configured as uplink ports. You have to go in and configure the boot flags accordingly. I actually added the particular boot flag, saved and rebooted the switch but it didnt show up under the config so im not sure if it took or not. In any case to manage the switch via the default VLAN 1, instead of the MGMT OOB port on the baqckside, all i needed to do was build the MGMT Vlan 1 as "in-band" type connection. Also once you do so, you lose the ability to use the MGMT OOB backside port. So you cant both working apparently. Thanks again for the support. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Jave
Contributor

Hi @mike71 

For me, you have just to create an in-band mgmt vlan, create mgmt interface on it and tag the VLAN through your VIM interface. By example, if you choose VLAN 100, with IP address 192.168.100.1/24:

conf t
vlan create 100 name MGMT type port-mstprstp 0
vlan i-sid 100 10100 (if you use SPBm traffic)
mgmt vlan
ip address 192.168.100.1/24
ip route 0.0.0.0/0 next-hop 192.168.100.254
enable
vlan members add 100 <VIM_INTERFACE_NUMBER>

mike71
New Contributor II

Jave, thanks for this info. Once i added the vlan ID after "Vlan MGMT  <ID>" , it worked great. One thing i did read though and im not sure if this made a difference or not, but apparently the VIM module doesnt start off configured as uplink ports. You have to go in and configure the boot flags accordingly. I actually added the particular boot flag, saved and rebooted the switch but it didnt show up under the config so im not sure if it took or not. In any case to manage the switch via the default VLAN 1, instead of the MGMT OOB port on the baqckside, all i needed to do was build the MGMT Vlan 1 as "in-band" type connection. Also once you do so, you lose the ability to use the MGMT OOB backside port. So you cant both working apparently. Thanks again for the support. 

Hi @mike71 

Sorry but you definitively can use simultaneously OOB port and in-band management VLAN. I use both currently on my FabricEngine Plateforms.

mike71
New Contributor II

Ok well then thats awesome!! When i tried to program the MGMT OOB port with an IP Address it barked at me and said..... "Error: Mgmt ipv4 address should not overlap with mgmt ipv4 address in other instances". When i read that i just gave up since i dont really need the MGMT OOB port anyway. So after reading what you said i went back and setup a standard IP of 192.168.1.1/24 and that did work. The lesson to be learned is that you cant use an IP in the same subnet if that makes sense. Thanks again

GTM-P2G8KFN