cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme 5520 VLAN Management w/VOSS

Extreme 5520 VLAN Management w/VOSS

mike71
New Contributor

Hello, my name is Mike and I am new to the extreme world and was wondering if someone could please shed some light on setting up a new extreme 5520-48w POE switch. I am trying to configure VLAN management through the fiber VIM module. Currently the switch is running my POE phones which work great through the VIM module, so i know the connectivity is good. The only problem is that I cant figure out how to remotely manage the switch passing through the VIM module. The MGMT OOB port in the back is the only way i can manage the switch currently. Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you dont mind please elaborate for me the best you can. I attached my config for review. Thank you kindly.

4 REPLIES 4

Jave
Contributor

Hi @mike71 

For me, you have just to create an in-band mgmt vlan, create mgmt interface on it and tag the VLAN through your VIM interface. By example, if you choose VLAN 100, with IP address 192.168.100.1/24:

conf t
vlan create 100 name MGMT type port-mstprstp 0
vlan i-sid 100 10100 (if you use SPBm traffic)
mgmt vlan
ip address 192.168.100.1/24
ip route 0.0.0.0/0 next-hop 192.168.100.254
enable
vlan members add 100 <VIM_INTERFACE_NUMBER>

mike71
New Contributor

Hi Jave, thanks for getting back to me with this potential solution. Since im using the Voss OS, my fiber connections on the VIM module are labeled as 2/1, 2/2, 2/3, and 2/4 as shown on the GUI. So in reference to your example above im using VIM Interface 2/3 so with that being said would the last line in your sample config look something like this......

vlan members add 100 2/3

Hi @mike71 

Yes, your config looks right.

mike71
New Contributor

Hi Jave, no luck with the config setup you sent. Not sure why it doesnt work since thats the typical setup i have found when trying to setup a MGMT Vlan. I did read a little about Clip, but not sure if that applies to my case. There must be an easier way to manage the switch through the VIM ports but again i have been hammering on this thing for over a week and have had no luck. If anybody has any ideas on switch management through the fiber ports on the VIM, i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you kindly

GTM-P2G8KFN